Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe

Goodreads Summary: Seconds before the Earth is demolished to make way for a galactic freeway, Arthur Dent is plucked off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher for the revised edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy who, for the last fifteen years, has been posing as an out-of-work actor.

Together this dynamic pair begin a journey through space aided by quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide ("A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have") and a galaxy-full of fellow travelers: Zaphod Beeblebrox--the two-headed, three-armed ex-hippie and totally out-to-lunch president of the galaxy; Trillian, Zaphod's girlfriend (formally Tricia McMillan), whom Arthur tried to pick up at a cocktail party once upon a time zone; Marvin, a paranoid, brilliant, and chronically depressed robot; Veet Voojagig, a former graduate student who is obsessed with the disappearance of all the ballpoint pens he bought over the years. 


Where are these pens? Why are we born? Why do we die? Why do we spend so much time between wearing digital watches? For all the answers stick your thumb to the stars. And don't forget to bring a towel!
I had heeard nothing but good things about this book. I mean, its practically [or maybe it really is] a fandom unto its own. Everyone loves it. A real, true blue cult classic. I've had it recommended to me dozens of times throughout my life. Finally I happened to stumble upon a copy at a library sale, scooped it up, loved the cover then let it lay around forever before reading it like always seems to happen. Or maybe that's just me.

Unfortunately we got off to a really slow start. I was constantly setting it aside and jumping into something else because I'm terrible with slow starts. I want to be invested from the beginning! I finally settled down to force myself to chug through and even then it took me a long time to get into it. Maybe about a third of the book.

Then I couldn't stop grinning. The circumstances are ridiculous. Makes me think of a NaNoWriMo book in all the best possible ways. What? I've written myself into a corner? I'VE GOT THIS MAN! It was insane and ridiculous. And I can definitely see why the book has the following it does. The characters are interesting, the events unbelievable and the humor spot-on.

All in all I can see why its such a popular read and I'd definitely recommend it to folks looking for something a bit on the crazy side. I think it appealed to me more now because I've been doing marathon sessions of Doctor Who [A MUST WATCH SHOW IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED IT ALREADY!] and it kind of fit into that insanity. Crazy men in even crazier ships doing even more insane things. [Heart of Gold totally reminds me of the TARDIS, kind of sort of in a way.] Needless to say it was a great read for a Whovian myself and really and truly I think it was the kind of read that anyone and everyone would enjoy if they gave it a chance.

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment