Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tiara Talk: Hiatus

I did it again, didn't I? 

Y'all came rushing over here after reading the title of this post because you thought I was going to go on a hiatus, or disappear, or something along those lines...right?

Its okay, I'm not going anywhere. Yet.

Dun, dun, dun.

Kidding, kidding. Touchy crowd, aren't you?

What I wanted to do was talk about taking one. Taking a hiatus from blogging, for those of you that don't already know, basically means taking an extended break. Normally because of private issues, school, work or something along those lines. Lots of bloggers take them and how often or how long is completely up the individual.

Myself? I haven't taken one...yet. But I have thought about it a time or two. And each time I come to the same conclusion, I've worked so hard to get this far...do I really want to take a break now? Usually after that rousing pep talk I find ways to make things work, not always as well as before but work nonetheless.

But I don't have near the things going on that other bloggers do [I also have NO time management skills to speak of but that's another story...] so in most cases a little motivational speech can go a long way with me.

Lately, with a possible full-time job on the line in addition to my being a full-time student and book blogger, I've been thinking about it more and more. What would it take to make me go on a hiatus? What are my limits and how far would I push them? [I am the queen of pushing limits!]

For me it would be a case of something has to give. Either my grades are in danger or, if I was working at the time, my job, or something seriously wrong in my offline existence. You know, dire straits Princess-style. So, no matter how often I threaten or think about it I know that as long as I possibly can I'm going to keep juggling blogging, school and what ever else life throws my way because I simply can't see myself taking off from Typing Tiara. [See future employers, THAT is dedication. I have it. In bucket loads. My whole royal treasury, full of DEDICATION...and books. But mostly dedication.] 

What about you guys? What would it take for you to take a hiatus? Have you taken one? Why for and how long?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't taken a hiatus as you described it. I've taken breaks, a day or two... Now that I've graduated, my blogs aren't as regular, but I'm not necessarily on break. I don't really know how to describe it. It just isn't the same as when I was in school. Nowadays, I don't know what to post anymore or I don't care as much to just fill in a date with something random and totally low quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. I've felt the same way at times and taken days of here and there. Sometimes you just need some perspective. [:

      Delete
  2. I took an unplanned haitus from about October until December. I just got overwhelmed and I still feel that way. I'm slowly getting back into book blogging, but I'm not forcing myself as much. I only do maybe one review a week or so. I think a lot of people are starting to feel book blogging is just too much and need some time to step back.

    Interestingly enough--I did my most book buying while on my hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. That's a long one. But I can understand. That feeling of being overwhelmed is what led me to taking my long hiatus too. I think I'm better now but I'm still afraid that feeling is going to creep up on me again.

      I did too. I think its because you feel less guilty about what you're reading because you're not as focused on review books.

      Delete
  3. I keep toying with the idea of a hiatus as well. School keeps getting more and more overwhelming, but like you, I just got to a point where I feel like my blog is somewhere great, so I don't want to drop it all of a sudden. It's also the only fun thing I let myself do (including reading in this hobby), so I don't really think I should stop doing my one fun thing. That would probably lead to insanity, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up letting myself take one because I didn't want to burn-out on blogging like I burned out on school. It really did help. I'm lazy coming back to it but I'm not dragging my feet. I feel, mostly, ready and rejuvenated.

      But yeah, if its your only fun thing I'd be crazy hesitant in dropping it. Maybe slowing down but not dropping it completely.

      Delete