Monday, September 24, 2012

Review of A Midsummer's Nightmare

Goodreads Summary: "Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great.

Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.

Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about.
"
This is going to be one of those reviews that is incredibly hard for me to write because I just loved this book so much. The kind of love where despite how much you're enjoying yourself along the way you don't realize you have fallen so crazy hard. I fell crazy hard for this book. Like, its now right up there with Sarah Dessen and Stephanie Perkins for my go-to contemporary recommendations. I just...I just really loved this book.

I was hooked from the very first line. I love snark. I love sarcasm. And I love voices just like Whitley's. Probably because my own voice is very much like her. It wasn't even that I could relate to Whitley on several levels or the fact that I just loved her, I like literally felt myself slipping into her shoes. I was her. I just...loved being in this girls head. Definitely one of my favorite main characters from this year and easily one of my favorite contemporary MCs ever.

And Nathan. You guys, I so have a soft spot for him. But I'll let him introduce himself in the book because to list off all my favorite things about him would just give way too much away. MEET HIM FOR YOURSELF. LIKE NOW. Go read.

And Bailey. I have a soft spot for Bailey's which I blame wholeheartedly on The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. But even if she had a different name I would have fallen for Bailey and wished for her as my own younger sister. I adored that girl. She was...she was just so...I don't even know how to describe her. She was just right. Actually I loved all of the Caulfields. Yes, the Caulfields.

Though it does have some awesome romantic bits to it A Midsummer's Nightmare isn't just another teen romance. Its a book about family. A really awesome book about family...and that is all I'm going to say on that because I don't want to give anything away. Just go read this one, mmkay? Promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment