Friday, October 10, 2014

Mini Review: Halfway to the Grave

Flirting with the Grave...
 Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father - the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner - are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.
Had I not had prior engagements [AKA an insane amount of homework and the fact that I was sick on top of everything else] I would have flown through this book in a mere day. It's a fast, fun read, and a great example of the urban fantasy genre. I honestly can't believe I put off reading this series as long as I have, especially when so many of my friends [bloggers especially!] have told me that it's a fantastic romp.

I would say it's more character driven than anything, at least from my perspective because while the novel didn't lack for plot the characters were far more engaging. I wasn't reading because I wanted to know how things would resolved exactly, I was reading because I loved the interactions between the characters...particuarly Cat and Bones.[Do not even get me started on my great love of Bones...just don't for the safety of your own sanity.] But despite my favoritism, it really was the entire cast of characters that kept me interested. They're all fascinating in their own ways.

Overall it was a great start to a new series with a heck of an ending that has me eager to start in on book two to see where things manage to go from here because honestly I have no idea where this wild ride is about to take me...and I happen to like it that way.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment