Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Mini Review: The Assassin's Blade

Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.
The Assassin and the Pirate Lord:
This first story was enjoyable but not one of my favorites in the collection. I didn't care much for the characters at this point, despite having known some of them prior to picking up the book. And I found myself disappointed by Sam.

The Assassin and the Healer:
 This was easily my favorite of the stories contained in the bind-up. I loved the characters, I loved the development, and I loved the storyline. Of all of the stories in the bind-up this is the one that I hope we see more of in the upcoming sequels to Throne of Glass.

The Assassin and the Desert:
 Easily another favorite in the collection! In this novella we get more development, are introduced to a great bunch of characters, and it's just hard to put down. Plus there is a great plot twist that I was surprised I didn't see coming.

The Assassin and the Underworld:
Quite honestly though I remember liking the story at the time as I think back on it now, or try to, it's hardly memorable to me. I can recall fragments but the actual story didn't leave much of an impression and I guess that kind of says it all.

The Assassin and the Empire:
This is the story that I had been expecting to get the entire time, the novella that I knew all of the others would be leading up to...and honestly, I was disappointed. I felt like it would have given us more than it did...unfortunately most of what it "revealed" I had already inferred. And Sam...I'm still not a fan. 

Overall the stories were interesting, I read them quickly and was glad I did but (aside from the gorgeous cover and the need as a bibliophile to have it on my shelf as a result) it wasn't what I was hoping for. I enjoyed a couple of the novellas a great deal but was disappointed in the one area I had been expecting the novel to shine, and that was Sam. I don't want to say any more because I don't want to risk spoiling the whole series but let's just say he wasn't what I had expected after the build-up.

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment