Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saturday Short: The Fault in Our Stars

Goodreads Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
The hype for this book has been INSANE. Like, I've never seen a book plastered across the far reaches of the internet the way this one has. The characters, the quotes, the plot [to some extent], just everything has been EVERYWHERE. I felt like I could be in love with this book before I even really knew it. [You know, like how you fangirl over your favorite celebs and fancy yourself in love with them without ever having actually met and/or spoke to them? Yeah, that.]

Alas, I think the hype was the undoing for me. I did know the novel, a bit too well. The things that would have seemed magical to me under normal circumstances I had seen across my Instagram feed or Tumblr so many times that I was almost, maybe, immune to them? It was more like, oh, yeah, I remember seeing that rather than just the mind-blowing-ness that I was hoping for. [Out of context-ness kills I swear.]

I really liked the characters, particularly Hazel. I just really appreciated her narration, her outlook on those around her. And the dialogue, utterly quotable so I can see why the words are everywhere. There are some really memorable lines in the novel. The kinds of things that stick with you. And yeah, it did make me cry. Not like full on Harry Potter weep-fest I can't see the words for the tears, but there was a decent crying jag at one point and a little teary-eyed at others. I liked it, I genuinely liked the novel as a whole. And it was a quick read, done in about a day, but I just didn't feel the connection that so many other readers did.

3/5

1 comment:

  1. I actually haven't read this one yet because the hype has turned me off. I just think my expectations are too high now and I'm worried I won't like it. I'm glad you at least partially enjoyed it. Great review!

    Katie @ Katie’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete