Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where a new topic is given each week by the host blog and participants write up a corresponding list of ten things. Simple, fun, and great for those obsessed with lists. This week's topic is: Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book (opposite of April 30 topic!).
Oh wow...never really thought about it...hm...
(1) Angels - I'm really picky about angel books and nine times out of ten if I see a book revolves around them I'll avoid it like the plague until its been recommended to me half a dozen times by people I trust...and even then sometimes I'll still avoid them.
(2) It was assigned to me...AKA books on my school reading list. [I'm a literature student if you didn't already know.] I'm getting better about this one. I managed to read almost every book that I was assigned last semester and I'm working on the backlog...but its a struggle. As soon as I'm told that I HAVE to read something I just dig my heels in and refuse.
(3) Tearjerker...As soon as someone refers to a book as a tearjerker I push it down so far on my TBR that it can get lost for years. [Yes Alli, most of your recs have gone through this...] I have to be in just the exact right mood to deal with these and it doesn't come along very often.
(4) Horror - I'm a scaredy-cat. At least I thought I was. I've been watching more horror flicks [old ones are my favorite in all their cheesy glory] but I've always avoided the books because I'm positive my own imagination is more terrifying than anything they can put on the big screen. So if I see a book in this genre flash in my radar, chances are I'm going to run the other way.
(5) Religion - This one kind of goes up there with angels, and its really the reason I avoid books with angelic protagonists or love interests. I'm not a very religious person and if a book gets on the preachy side I'm done so I tend to avoid books with religious overtones to save myself the trouble.
Not a very long list, is it?
The funny thing is really is that most of these things I'm saying will automatically make me not pick up a book [you know, because that is the topic!] are things that I'm trying to change. I don't want to have keywords that automatically launch me away, I want to be a more open reader...guess we'll see how that goes.
What about all of you?