Thursday, October 25, 2012

Review of Confessions of an Angry Girl

Goodreads Summary: "Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make… 

1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)
"
When I read the synopsis of this book for the first time I fell a little in love. Maybe a lot.  Why? Because you might as well have called me Rose Zarelli. I was that girl. Part of me still is that girl. [Oh yeah, I'm about to get all confessional up in here.] I lost my father when I was eleven/twelve years old. I hadn't started middle school yet so I came a little before Rose in that respect, but I had those same issues come high school really. I closed off a lot in middle school, I was quiet, I was shy, I was a nobody. I was sad and trying my best to hide it. I pretended like nothing had happened.

And then the anger hit. It wasn't all in one big whoosh, at least not at first, it was a gradual build-up to a raging inferno. Louise Rozett captures that so perfectly in her novel. You see the warning signs, the danger, the inability to deal with things. You see Rose trying to backpedal, to save herself, to do it all on her own. You feel her emotions, her trauma, her everything. And her voice, I love Rose's voice. This book was SO RIGHT in so many ways. I loved the characters. I loved the emotion. I loved how real it felt. Its honest. Its poignant. Its everything I had hoped for.

Because in so many respects this book felt like my own story it makes it incredibly hard for me to review. I know I'm all over the place and that's because its tricky to navigate. I can tell you guys I loved this book, that it was an automatic add to my favorite list on Goodreads and a book that I will definitely be buying for my own shelves and sharing with my loved ones. It resonated with me the way that the best books do. I couldn't stop reading. I had to know and then I found myself so crazy excited to find that there was more, another book was coming soon, and that I would get more of Rose's story when it came out. [This from the girl who is supposedly sick of series! xD]

[This review is based off of a galley I received from the publisher courtesy of Netgalley.]

No comments:

Post a Comment