Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Avalon Chronicles: Volume 1

Goodreads Summary: "When Aeslin Finn was a little girl, her parents read to her from a magical book called The Avalon Chronicles. But that was a long time ago. Now a teenager, Aeslin is about to discover just how magical she and that book really are. Transported to the world of Avalon, she discovers a kingdom in need of a Dragon Knight - and the last dragon, Blue Moon, is waiting for her."

I immediately connected with the story that Aeslin was being told by her parents, I loved how the artwork shifted form fairy tale to modern day when she interrupted, it flowed so well. And on the list page of what I think was a prologue, or lead-in for the rest of the story, Aeslin learns from her mother that she will have to grow up and that her father died. In the story Aeslin was eight and a half years olds when she was given this news, in the story of my life I was eleven or so. I could relate to this despite the few years difference. The trauma is the same.

The artwork was classic, keeping it to black and white was a brilliant choice by the author. I personally think color would have only bogged it down. This way it was simple, illustrated the story but didn't overshadow it. I loved the look of it. Had I been in a bookstore flipping through graphic novels, as I have a knack for doing, this one would have made it to the register with me for sure. Its exactly my style.

Childhood Aeslin reminded me so much of my child self, I was always wrapped up in fantasy. Its been my favorite genre to escape into since I was a child. I love the idea of magic, of knights protecting castles, of powerful rulers and mystical happenings. I would have been as obsessed with Avalon as she. Teenage Aeslin was just as fascinating for me, the girl torn between the fantasy she loved as a child and the real world. I wish I was struggling with that choice.

I was caught up in the story from the beginning, when the story of Avalon was first being told to Aeslin and her mother suddenly slammed the book closed after seeing a none too happy sight and deeming the book not for her. Which of course made Avalon that much more interesting for me. I had to know what the rest of the book said, I had to know more about Avalon, and what Aeslin's connection was...I mean obviously there was a connection otherwise it shouldn't have frightened her mother so, right?

And for those of you so concerned, there a couple of yummy male specimens lurking about in the pages of this storybook. Definitely worth checking out. As for romance? Guess you'll just have to wait and see.

I have no idea how to convey my love for this book to you guys, it was just...everything I could have wanted. I wish I had all four volumes already in my hands so I could just devour them all in a single sitting...over and over and over again. I absolutely loved this book, its a must-have for my own personal collection, and I cannot possibly bear the wait until the second volume is released. I see a great many re-reads in my future until that date.

Rating: 5/5

The following E-ARC was given to me by Netgalley and Oni Press in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment