Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review of Wilde's Fire

Goodreads Summary: "“There is no pain in this death, only peace, knowing I am going to die with the one I love the most.”—Katriona Wilde.

Katriona Wilde has never wondered what it would feel like to have everything she’s ever known and loved ripped away, but she is about to find out. When she inadvertently leads her sister and best friend through a portal into a world she’s dreamed of for six years, she finds herself faced with more than just the frightening creatures in front of her. Kate’s forced to accept a new truth: her entire life has been a lie, and those closest to her have betrayed her. What’s worse, she has no control over her new future, and it’s full of magic and horrors from which nightmares are made. Will Kate discover and learn to control who she really is in time to save the ones she loves, or will all be lost?
"

I agonized over this book when I saw it pop up on Netgalley, I debated for hours whether or not I should even request it and it was a monumentally decision to click the little request button...and insane excitement when I got the e-mail saying that my request had been approved. It was one of those rare cases where a book appears out of nowhere that appeals to your craving of that very moment. Who wouldn't be ecstatic? Then finals got in the way...and life...and I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to be able to satisfy my craving, poor Wilde's Fire just kept getting pushed to the side.

And then it happened. I suddenly had abundant free time, summer had come. I picked up my Kindle a dozen or so times but was hesitant to start reading, what if it didn't live up to my expectations? What if it wasn't the magical book I was hoping for? Finally I got over myself and began reading.

My immediate thoughts? Disappointment. And then there were the dream sequences. I began reading for these dream sequences; Kate's dreams were all that I was hoping for in this novel or at least the promising beginnings of what I had hoped for. I was hooked. I wanted more and more.  And that is exactly what Krystal Wade, the author, delivered. Right up into the point where these dreams became reality, the moment I had been excitedly waiting for.

I think I could have liked Brit if I had known her more, but our time together was alas, far too brief. Oh Brit I barely knew ye. But such a promising troublemaker you were. And then there was Brad who annoyed me from the beginning. I couldn't pinpoint what exactly it was about him, no one moment, but he simply annoyed me by existing. Kate on the other hand, Kate I found myself liking a lot. But it was Arland I was reading for in a lot of ways, he was the fantasy hero I had been waiting for and Kate's perfect match. I think we fell for him together in your dreams, Kate. So needless to say, the romance in this novel was delectable.

The supporting cast was equally enchanting; through the progress of the novel they really came alive for me. There were tons of distinct personalities and none of the getting them mixed up that often comes out of fantasy novels and there gigantic casts of characters. I felt like I was the one that saw these people every day.

As an avid fantasy reader (and writer!) I found myself reading this one at a slower pace, pouring over the explanations for why things were the way they were, how they got there, the magic, everything I could get my eager mind to wrap around. Krystal Wade knows how to make a fantasy girl a very very happy one.

*Little side-note, I absolutely love this cover. Its GORGEOUS. I would have a print of it on my wall, I really would. In fact, I plan on purchasing a physical copy for that very reason.

Rating: 5/5

I received an E-ARC of Wilde's Fire from Netgalley and Curiosity Quills Press in exchange for a fair and honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh..i am so curious about these dreams..and laughed when you told Kate in your dreams..lol. Awesome review and i like the cover too;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love making people laugh and when they enjoy my reviews so you just gave me a two-fer. :]

    ReplyDelete