Thursday, November 17, 2011

Review of Take Me There

My review of Take Me There by Carolee Dean is based on a paperback copy of the book that I purchased for myself. The following review is my honest opinion of the work.

Goodreads Summary: "Dylan has a bad-boy past and a criminal record. He knows that rich, beautiful Jess is way too good for him—but she has always been the one person who sees through his tough exterior and straight to his heart, and he has been hopelessly in love with her from the first time they met. He would change his life for a chance with her. 

But trouble follows Dylan wherever he goes, and a deadly mistake soon forces him to hit the road and leave his dreams behind. He’s on the run and in search of answers—answers to questions he wishes he’d never asked."

I picked this book up because I thought it would combine two of my favorite things: bad boys and road trips. I expected a quick, fun, and flirty read. Let me tell you, Take Me There by Carolee Dean was nothing like what I expected.

This story was told through two different timelines, Dylan's memories of his time with Jess and his present on the road broken up by his little bits of poetry and excerpts from a book about how a man came to be in jail. It took me awhile to get used to the way in which this story was told but once I fell into the rhythm of it I thought it fit the story it told well.

I'm giving Take Me There by Carolee Dean a five out of five stars review. I was floored by this book, completely floored. The cover of this book, both front and back, summary and picture completely lead a reader astray as to what story it contains. You would pick it up thinking you're about to get a fun, easy romance between a boy from the wrong sides of the tracks and the rich good girl but it's nothing like that. This is a story of a boy with a haunted past trying to come to terms with who he is, whether it's who he has made himself into or what he is as a result of his heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment