Monday, January 28, 2013

Review: Dark Seeker

Goodreads Summary: She's the Seeker. He's the hunted. What's at stake could kill them both...

For 17-year-old Seeker, Janie Grey, ridding the Baltimore streets of the undead is an inherited duty passed down from her Cherokee ancestors. Seeker Training Lesson #1: Never trust the undead. After her father’s tragic death, Janie creates her own life lesson: Love isn’t worth the risk. Both lessons are easy to follow until she encounters the flawed Kai Sterdam. At first, she believes he is the hybrid she is trained to hunt. But, when he has human traits, she determines she doesn’t know what he is. As Janie’s intrigue over who Kai is pushes her deeper into his mysterious past, she discovers a shocking truth that is even more harrowing than the evil they are up against. It’s a secret Kai wants to keep hidden, especially from Janie.
I'll admit I was a little confused, and slightly disappointed, when I learned that this novel wasn't continuing the story of the characters that I met in Dark Beauty. But the feelings of disappointment didn't last long and before I knew it I was caught up in the actions of these new characters and utterly unable to put the book down for long.

Janie is such a kick-a** heroine. She's stubborn, she has some [literally] killer moves and a huge heart. Some of my favorite characteristics in a protagonist! Also, I loved how well she adapted to things. She might freak out initially but she would be back on her feet and ready to go with very little drama. She wasn't the type to curl up in the fetal position in some dark corner moaning and groaning about things...she took charge, made things happen and got what she wanted. Most of the time. [One small disappointment is that we didn't learn nearly as much about her being Cherokee as I would have liked. Just a couple words or little things here and there...]

And I'm kind of, a little bit, in love with Kai. [As if I needed another book boyfriend.] I loved his wit, the banter back and forth between him and Janie. Also, he just won't quit. He's almost as stubborn, possibly even more stubborn, then Janie. Which makes the interactions between the two of them, and his attempts to out-stubborn her, utterly giggle-worthy. I wouldn't say he's my usual type in my reads [AKA fey or a bad boy...or BOTH!] but he's definitely a guy that I adore.

Just when I'd begun to believe I was over the whole paranormal romance thing Dark Seeker came along and proved me wrong. Easily a four star rating, I couldn't help but really like/enjoy this one. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on the next book in the series, Dark Return, because I want to know what Taryn Browning has in mind next for Janie and the rest of the cast of Dark Seeker.

No comments:

Post a Comment