Monday, November 12, 2012

Review of The Death Cure

Goodreads Summary: "Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.


Will anyone survive the Death Cure?
"
I wanted to love this one SO BAD. I really liked The Maze Runner and totally loved The Scorch Trials so I had super high hopes for The Death Cure but from the first line it seemed to lack the intensity that I felt in the previous novels and more or less had me groaning, are we done yet? through the rest.

Thomas no longer felt like the same character he was in the other two novels and not in a good way. And remember in my review of The Scorch Trials how I said I wanted more of all the characters? Yeah. Didn't happen. I felt like it was all about our main character, which to some extent it should be, but the loyalty from the previous novels and the fearsome whole that was the Gladers seemed absent from this one. I didn't feel like there was that same connection.

As for the action, it felt repeated. Like seriously how many times could WICKED really screw these guys over? None of the events really came as a surprise any more. As a reader I felt I knew when something was going to go wrong; it would be every single time something would go right, the very second things would start going right a new problem would fall.

I just felt completely disappointed by this one. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe I shouldn't have jumped right in as soon as I finished The Scorch Trials. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it. I could maybe my life away on this book but in all honesty it just wasn't as good and that is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment