Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review of Glitch

Goodreads Summary: "In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.
"

 There are some books that you can say are slow-going, others fast-paced, Glitch leans towards the latter category in that it doesn't seem to give you much breathing room. No sooner do you start to make a connection or start to regulate your breathing again then it suddenly jerks the rug out from under you and has you breathing quickly with your heart pounding. Suffice it to say that Glitch will have you glitching in no time. Only without the powers.

Being a nerd, and a nerd who loves technology at that, I have to admit that I was more than a little intrigued with the world presented in Glitch; one where technology rules over us all, and why yes it is dystopian and not dealing with our present-day world. Hard to believe, am I right? I mean it feels like today we are already ruled by technology; constantly reaching for our smart phones, jamming with our MP3 players, flipping through a book with a click of a button or any other medley of tasks. In our modern world we're seldom without technology and it oftentimes feels as though the devices have us under their thumb. Just wait until you read Glitch.

Pros? You, as the reader, are just dumped right in with little to no warning. Basically it is total immersion into Zoe's world and I absolutely loved it. As far as I'm concerned there are few better ways to get me caught up in a story. As other readers have pointed out this sudden immersion gives you a better feel for Zoe's indecision, the way that she is torn between her own secret world of smells/sights/colors/textures/etc and that which the Community wants for her. I loved getting Zoe's glimpses of the "real" world after having spent so much time as a loyal Community member. Everything was new to her, beautiful, fresh and unique. Its the kind of book that makes you stop and smell the roses. I loved Zoe's eagerness to feel more, to find more, and most importantly her desire to not keep it all to herself but to share it with the world.

In a world of technological zombies it is hard to get a feel for other characters, really unless they're glitching you don't get an idea of them at all because the Community's technology forces them to all be the same basic person. [The Community isn't fond of individuality.] Which really adds to the feel of the Community. I mean, you see what it has done to the people belonging to the Community. You see how little difference. You see the gray. And it makes you crave glitchers that much more after feeding you only baby bites.

Another pro for me was how much time we, as the readers, got to spend in the actual dystopian world in the thick of everything. So many dystopian novels have characters escaping early on and just on the run; which while exciting often leaves me wondering about the world itself. Why do the characters want to escape? What makes it so horrible a place to live? This is why I love the instant immersion. The Community feels real. It isn't some faceless villain. SCORE.

Issues? The love triangle that was snuck in on me. I hate to say it but I just didn't buy it. The groundwork that was laid was decent and semi-believable but for a love triangle to really hook me in I feel like I have to be drawn to both boys, I have to see how a girl could be caught between the two of them and I just didn't get that in this one. I just knew from the start how I wanted it to be without any wavering whatsoever. So basically it just wasn't my kind of love triangle and I'm sure others will enjoy it, just not my own personal cup of tea.

All in all I was pleased as punch to have gotten to read Glitch, it was exactly my type of dystopian and a great read.

Rating: 4/5

I received a galley of this novel courtesy of Netgalley and St. Martin's Griffin in exchange for a fair and honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one too. The issue with the boys and how things progressed with one of them...with regards to another girl all seemed pretty sudden. I think the series will improve as it goes along though, so will also look out for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I mean, I understood why it went that way to some extent but I felt it needed more time really. Overall I did like it though so I'll be looking for the next one as well. :]

      Delete