Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tiara Talk: Books, acceptable presents or not?

Let's talk books as presents.

I can already see the blank stares now that this topic is generating as you lovely readers are trying to figure out exactly what I mean by this. But with the holidays coming up it got me to thinking, how do you feel about giving and receiving books for your holiday gifts?

Those of you that follow me on Twitter might have heard about the fact that my Mom and boyfriend, who both still request both birthday and Christmas lists from me, limited the amount of books that can be placed on such lists. I think it was three for my boyfriend's list and my Mom actually requested that I try to come up with a book-free list. Why? Because it's not as fun for them. They say that all I ever want is books, which I have to admit is true a lot of the time. I LOVE to read. I love getting new books.

But I can kind of understand where they are coming from. Non-book lovers probably don't get that same rush. They don't understand how excited we get over a new novel. I get that. What floats my boat might not necessarily float theirs. We are all different after all, part of that whole being an individual thing.

On the other hand, I LOVE giving books out almost as much as I love receiving them. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love present giving in general but something about sharing a book I love with someone I love just really gets that warm and fuzzy feeling going inside of me.

So I want to know how you, my darling readers, feel about it. What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. I love getting books too! Sometimes I get some specific books but mostly people get me barnes and noble gift cards as part of their gift. Then every year my grandma takes me out for breakfast and then to B&N and she never rushes me! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your grandmother is looking for an honorary granddaughter I am totally up for the challenge! :D

    Lol.

    I agree you with one hundred percent, I love getting books and though to some extent I understand why others don't like giving them [considering they are not readers themselves] part of me still feels that she should be concerned with giving what the receiver wants. If that makes any sense.

    I love getting cards because I can choose my own, but I especially love when someone picks out a special book for me just because they remembered me talking about it. That always makes it special. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) I told my husband yesterday that he could get me books for my birthday & I got one of those "yea, right, are you nuts?!" looks.

    Mom got me The Name of the Wind last Christmas, tho... and wowsers, that was fun! Gift Cards are better, although I'd probably spend 'em on Giveaways....

    Speaking of, thx for entering mine!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. im a bookworm like u, so yes, books are awesome for me.. if not, gift cards are fine with me :D unlike total bookworms, i actually love makeup and clothes and shoes as well so my family aren't just limited to books for my presents (if they even plan on getting me any)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burgandy Ice, I get a lot of those same looks from my boyfriend! Though now I've gotten him hooked on graphic novels so I'm not getting those looks quite as often.

    Thank you for having the giveaway! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unlike you, Arianne. I'm pretty much a total bookworm. Clothes are okay occasionally, and video games are usually a score but I'm just as happy with boxes upon boxes of books. If I could get away with it I'd probably only ask for books most holidays. :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's weird,when I was a kid people were obsessed with getting me books! But now I'm older, people seem to preferto get me other things. They all still get me books (mostly because I usually refuse to ask for other things) however. I do like buying books as gifts, but I wont buy them for someone who'll never ever read them. I think there's a lot of fun in choosing a book for someone, but if they're not a reader at all it is pointless. I do think you have to be a book lover yourself to enjoy buying books as gifts.

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same thing here which was ironic because I wasn't ALL about books in that point in time. I still loved to read but there were toys, video games and other things I wanted too. Now that I'm older almost all I want is books and I'm getting less of them, go figure!

    I don't usually buy books for non-readers either unless I think I've found a book that might make them rethink their stance. It worked with my BF after all. But for the most part I stick to buying books for fellow lovers and trying to only hand them my book wish lists. It makes everyone happier. :]

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete