Thursday, November 10, 2011

Review of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

My review of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan is based on a paperback copy of the book that I purchased for myself. The following review is my honest opinion.

Goodreads Summary: "NOW A MAJOR motion picture starring Michael Cera (Juno and Superbad) and Kat Dennings (The 40 Year-Old Virgin)! Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist is a comedy about two teens thrust together for one hilarious, sleepless night of adventure in a world of mix tapes, late-night living, and, live, loud music. Nick frequents New York’s indie rock scene nursing a broken heart and Norah is questioning all of her assumptions about the world. Though they have nothing in common except for their taste in music, their chance encounter leads to an all-night quest to find a legendary band’s secret show and ends up becoming the first date that could change both their lives.

From YA fan-favorites Rachel Cohn and David Levithan comes the story of Nick and Norah. This movie tie-in edition also includes an 8-page photo insert from the film, as well as a map of Manhattan, detailing all of the sites Nick and Norah go to on their all-night date.
"

When I saw the trailer for the movie based on this book I knew that it was going to be something I wanted to read and immediately added it to my wish-list. I was so psyched when I found a pristine copy of this book, despite it being the movie cover and not the original, at my library's bag of books for a dollar sale.

This story was startlingly true to young adult life. At least the way that I had always imagined it to be. Everything that happened in this story could realistically happen just likely wouldn't. One of my favorite aspects of the story was that it was like the snowball effect where one thing led to another, that led to dozens of others, all the while rushing down the mountain at crazed speeds. N&N bring new meaning to everything happens for a reason.

I loved the voice of Norah; I saw so much of myself in her, both the me I am now and the me I was when I was actually the same age as her. The constant questioning of myself, the sarcasm to hide everything, always being the careful one who took care of those around me. Norah was me, or I was Norah. I loved reading her chapters. On the other hand I didn't like Nick's chapters quite as much...though whenever he included lyrics or the songs that were unfolding in his head as the soundtrack to the night I felt myself swooning just a little bit.

All in all I think N&N was a fun, quick read and a great young adult contemporary novel. I'm giving Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist a four out of five stars review. Though I didn't find myself falling in love with the story I really did enjoy it and will probably have it making the rounds soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment