Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review of Ethereal

My review of Ethereal by Addison Moore is based on an e-book copy of the book that I received on loan from a Kindle lending site. The following review is my honest opinion of the work.

*Warning, review may contain minor spoilers.*

Goodreads Summary: "Skyla Messenger is a dead girl walking.

When her newly remarried mother moves the family to Paragon Island, to a house that is rumored to be haunted, Skyla finds refuge in Logan Oliver, a boy who shares her unique ability to read minds.

Skyla discovers Logan holds the answers to the questions she’s been looking for, but Logan’s reluctance to give her the knowledge she desires leaves her believing Logan has a few secrets of his own.

Skyla’s bloodlines may just be connected to the most powerful angelic beings that roam the earth, and the more she knows, the more danger she seems to be in.

Suddenly an entire faction of earthbound angels wants her dead, at least she still has Logan, or does she?"

It was pure luck that I was able to read this book. You see I had it loaned to me on my Kindle but I miscounted the days and the loan expired. I got the e-mail, was bummed then turned on my Kindle to read another book...only to find that I had left Ethereal open. So out of curiosity I found myself reading the first page then hitting the next page button just to see what would happen. Lucky me I was able to read the entire book still!

I'll admit that I'm still skeptical of angels as far as paranormal books go, they are just not the type of supernatural creature that appeals to me. I'm usually in it for the darker beings. But after Mercy by Rebecca Lim I was totally willing to give another angel book a shot and I'm glad that I did.

Though I'm not a fan of our heroine's name [I had a bitter rivalry with a girl named Skyla all the way through middle school!] I found myself liking her as a character. Especially because she had a mind of her own and didn't back down and do as she was ordered by the other characters, no matter who the character happened to be. She made her own decisions for better or worse and stuck to them. The other aspect of Skyla that I enjoyed was the fact that she was not perfect nor was she always right, she made mistakes than did her best to try and correct them. AND she put others ahead of herself even if she didn't particularly like the person or by doing so she was potentially ruining her own life. Not that she was entirely selfless or anything but she did try to do the right thing and in doing so do what she thought was best for everyone, not just herself.

As of the end of the story I find myself to be unsure about Logan Oliver. I liked him to some extent but I'm not entirely sure I trust him on a character to reader level. Which makes things interesting in my honest opinion. I will admit to liking his family a great deal. Especially a certain member. But rather than give away spoilers I will leave it at that. ;]

Fast-paced plot once the initial factoid lay-down has been completed which didn't take long at all really. Lots of information thrown at you left and right though it's done in a way that doesn't take away from the story itself, which I appreciated because no one likes an information dump. This book was another book that I finished in what was basically a single sitting, I just had to know what happened next. Which in my eyes is a sign of a good book.

I'm giving Ethereal by Addison Moore a four out of five stars review. I enjoyed this book and am really glad that I was given a second chance at reading it. Ethereal turned out to be the exact kind of light read I needed for a day like this when frustrations had run high. I was able to get lost in the world, amuse myself with the characters and all of the possibilities they held. I'm really looking forward to getting the sequel, Tremble so that I can learn what happens next. Curse you, cliff-hanger!

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really good! I'll be adding it to my "to-read" list :)

    I'm a new follower by the way :)

    If you get chance you can stop by my blog: http://thoughts-of-an-endless-dreamer.blogspot.com/

    <3
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it!

    And thank you for following, I hope you continue to enjoy Typing Tiara. :D

    ReplyDelete