Monday, May 30, 2011

Review of Faustine

My review of Faustine by Imogen Rose is based on an e-book copy that was loaned to me through a Kindle lending site. What follows is my honest review of the story.

Goodreads Summary: "Who is Faustine? When Faustine Spencer was five years old, she discovered a secret that changed her life forever. At twelve, her parents sent her to Bonfire Academy in Switzerland to ensure that she received the training needed to control her increasing powers.

Three years later, Faustine returns to Manhattan. All she wants is to be a typical teenager, at least, one that's part of the in-crowd at her Upper East Side High School. When drop-dead gorgeous Ryker, her long-time crush from the Academy, finally notices her, she couldn't be happier.

However, her desire for a normal life is shattered when her father, a prominent sovereign, disappears after naming her as his successor. Her siblings begin to disappear, and Faustine finds herself in the midst of a power struggle. With her life in danger, Faustine must learn to follow one of Bonfire Academy's most important rules: Trust no one."

I chose Faustine as my first official read of the summer because I enjoyed the premise to this novel, with a young demonic princess suddenly having to take her father's role in paranormal society. It turned out to be a good choice. Light and fun it proved to be a quick read, exactly what I needed as I lounged about the house.

One aspect of Faustine (the book, not the character) that I really appreciated was that there was no big drama-fest taking place between the main character and her mother. I know it happens but as a girl who considers her mother to be her best friend I like to see this represented occasionally in the books that I read.

The large cast was a win with me though I noticed in other reviews some people had difficulties keeping track of the various characters I found them to have certain traits that set them apart from one another.

On the note of the large cast, the members that I found myself enjoying the most were the other royals. I loved these guys, particularily Alfred. One of my favorite scenes was when they all got together with Faustine to discuss what was going on. I only wish there had been more scenes with them and hope that there will be in the following books.

The beginning to the romance with Ryker was a bit rushed in my opinion with the easily made excuses of he had always liked her but been afraid to tell her and vice-versa. It is possible that this sort of thing happens but I prefer my romance to have a few bumps along the way. Considering everything that was going on they just fell together too quickly and than Ryker was literally at her beck-and-call despite how the short period they were actually together.

One other minor thing that was a bit over the top was all of the teenage characters saying "wassup" to one another. I don't know anyone who does this. It was just...weird and tended to through me out of Faustine's world/book.

I'm giving Faustine by Imogen Rose a three out of five stars review. It was a fun demonic romp while it lasted, and I probably will be checking out the sequel when it's released.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I love detailed reviews such as this! It also looks like a pretty cool book that I might have to check out :)

    ReplyDelete