Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Mini Review: Never Say Never [Never Knights #1]

What girl wouldn't want to be surrounded by the sexy guys from the hottest teen rock sensation in the country? 18-year-old Never "Neve" Knight, not only is surrounded by the hottest boys to hit the music charts, but she is the band's lead singer. As the band's lead singer and manager, Never formed and shaped the band to where it is today, a band on the rise and on the brink of being signed by a label. As one of the guys, she knew each of the band members since they were all snot-nose ten-year-olds. While her boys were the cutest guys and they would protect her like knights, she couldn't date any one of them and ruin the chance at being signed with the record label of her dreams. That changes when one of the band members suddenly drops out of the band, and in walks Danny Blue, with his dreamy blue eyes, hot body, and British accent. Suddenly, Never's solid world has turned to mush, and her rule for not dating one of her band members is seriously challenged. Can she keep her head straight and get her band signed with a label without losing her heart? Can Never change her tune of saying "never to dating a band member" to "never say never"?
I literally read this e-book in a single sitting. I woke up early one morning and found myself unable to fall back asleep and so I popped open my Kindle app and decided to read a few pages of whatever book was first on the list...and I ultimately ended up reading the entire novel in a couple hours.

I really liked the characters and I actually found myself wishing that the book had been longer so that I could get to know them better. I just felt like I didn't get nearly as much time and development with the other characters as I would have liked. And the band aspect, I personally felt, was extremely well done. You really get a feel for the dynamics of the group and how things should work as well as how they actually do. 

My only issues were that the novel itself almost felt too short, and I know that there's a corresponding series but I actually felt like I wanted more from this particular book in the series and not necessarily just a continuation in a sequel. If that makes sense. The other flaw was that the start of the romance (I won't say more than that for fear of spoilers) felt too intense in a way that I personally didn't care much for. It felt a little too much like the male lead was coercing or pressuring her in a way that just didn't feel quite comfortable. 

Ultimately though I thought that it was an enjoyable, fun, quick read that I found impossible to put down for more than a few moments. I'm definitely curious as to where it will go from here, and I'm especially eager to get to know the bandmates better and hopefully even more from Never's parents! 

No comments:

Post a Comment