Monday, October 7, 2013

Review: The Lonely Hearts Club

Goodreads Summary: Love is all you need... or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.

Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . . .
This was honestly one of the sweetest novels that I've read in ages. The characters, the club, just everything about it really. It was touching. And it had the best message too! 

I loved how it was promoting, not man-hating though the assumption could be made, but the fact that no matter what happens on with significant others in your life you should always make the time to put friends first. I mean, this novel was seriously all about girl power. Yes, there were moments of romance and the like but it was really about friends and the importance of having people there for you and being there for them in turn. Loved it!

I love The Beatles. They are seriously my go to band for when I'm stressed or anything really, they always without fail mellow me out and give me a positive outlook so to find a book that semi-centered around them thrilled me to no end and really that's why I picked it up when I did...I need a Beatles fix. But I got so much more. Penny Lane was a great lead character, I could easily relate to her and found her to be sweet and just a bit quirky and no where near perfect. Just how I like them! 

4/5

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I haven't read it yet but have had it for a long time now. It does sound like some man-bashing would be involved but I'm glad there isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I hope you get to read it soon. [:

      Delete
  2. The Lonely Hearts Club is so adorable, isn't it. It's my favorite Eulberg novel. I'm so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of Eulberg's novels. I hope they're all this sweet.

      Delete