Saturday, July 27, 2013

Saturday Short: Death and the Girl Next Door

Goodreads Summary: Darynda Jones, author of The New York Times bestselling series that began with First Grave on the Right, brings us Death and the Girl Next Door, a thrilling Young Adult novel garnering high praise and early buzz from major authors

Ten years ago, Lorelei's parents disappeared without a trace.  Raised by her grandparents and leaning on the support of her best friends, Lorelei is finally beginning to accept the fact that her parents are never coming home.  For Lorelei, life goes on.

High school is not quite as painful as she thinks it will be, and things are as normal as they can be.  Until the day the school's designated loner, Cameron Lusk, begins to stalk her, turning up where she least expects it,  standing outside her house in the dark, night after night.  Things get even more complicated when a new guy—terrifying, tough, sexy Jared Kovach—comes to school.  Cameron and Jared instantly despise each other and Lorelei seems to be the reason for their animosity.  What does Jared know about her parents?  Why does Cameron tell Jared he can't have Lorelei?  And what will any of them do when Death comes knocking for real?  Thrilling, sassy, sexy, and inventive, Darynda Jones's first foray into the world of teens will leave readers eager for the next installment.
What is with me and stumbling across angel books? I just have no idea how this keeps happening to me. 

Let me start off by saying that this isn't one of those angel novels like I mentioned in my TTT post earlier this week; though it was "religious" as in drawing from aspects of the Christian religion and involving a church I didn't feel as if I was being preached to. In fact, I was actually INTERESTED in the mythology that was being explored in the novel, I didn't feel as if I was being bombarded or anything. It was just fascinating. 

The cons for me with Death and the Girl Next Door were that it took awhile for the characters to feel developed; I wasn't really attatched or into them until further into the novel and I'm just not feeling the love interest...though I'm a fan of Cameron [YES! Despite what the synopsis will lead you to believe this novel is happily love triangle free!], and even more so of Glitch...and Brooklyn made a wry grin come to my face a time or two. I never really got attatched to Lorelei though which is a downfall.  I wasn't compelled to keep reading really other than to finish it.  

For me the main draw in this novel was genuinely the plot of it; I wanted to understand the angels in this book and the history behind them. The secondary characters did their fair share of keeping me turning pages though to be fair. 

2/5 [Just okay.]

No comments:

Post a Comment