Saturday, July 6, 2013

Saturday Short: Book of Shadows

Goodreads Summary: Something is happening to me that I don't understand.

I see things, feel things in a new way. I can do things normal people can't do. Powerful things. Magickal things. It scares me.

I never chose to learn witchcraft. But I'm starting to wonder if witchcraft is choosing me.
When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure how I felt about it, I wasn't as drawn in as I wanted to be but it had been recommended to me so many times I felt I had to persevere...and I'm glad I did because before too long I was caught up in the world and hooked on what I was reading.

At times the characters did feel a little young to me but I didn't mind overly much because they are rather young [at least to me!] and it fit for the story. Overall I really liked the characters though, particularly seeing everything through the eyes of Morgan; the way she approaches things, puzzles them through and is so open makes her a great heroine in my eyes. 

I feel like Book of Shadows was a great introduction to a series, almost feeling more like a serial than an actual first book and it definitely got me interested in reading the rest of the Sweep books. It gives you just enough about the characters, enough set up of the potential drama and plot and enough of Tiernan's "paranormal" world to make you eager to continue. 

4/5

Note: I have the bind-ups of the Sweep series but I AM reviewing each individual book so that there are no spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the series yet. [:

No comments:

Post a Comment