Monday, July 1, 2013

Review: Anatomy of a Boyfriend

Goodreads Summary: Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.
I had only meant to skim the first few pages of this book when it arrived on my doorstep, I was waiting for a friend to pick me up and was already juggling three books...and yet somehow I devoured four chapters during my wait. I managed to put it aside until I finished some of my other reading material but I thought about it the entire time. I was hooked.

Now you guys KNOW characters are a mondo super big deal to me. I like characters that I can really sink my teeth into, characters that feel real to me, people that I care about and question not only when I'm reading the book but when I bother to take my nose out of it. I really liked this cast! Particularly Dom and Ames who remind me a lot of me and my close friend. [Though I'm not entirely sure which of us is which, I think we trade back and forth.] I also liked the relationship between Dom and her family, I feel like that is often neglected in YA books and I didn't feel that way here.

To warn you, and be fair, this is a love/hate kind of book AKA something that readers will either love or just want to toss across the room because it is a bit on the mature side [real young adult / new adult issues]. So if that isn't your type of thing then you might want to avoid this one as it very much lives up to the hype of being like Forever by Judy Blume, only more modernized maybe. The same feelings are there but also more "adult" concepts as the same age groups now are older than they once were. And personally I think the author handled them well and I really enjoyed reading the novel.

My only fault is I wish it was longer, felt like it went by too fast. Overall it was the kind of novel that hooks you in from the beginning, has some great characters, portrays "real" relationships and was just a great read albeit a bit mature for some readers. Can't wait to read the companion novel where I hope a certain character from this one makes a reappearance.

2 comments:

  1. I loved both of these books! I found them to be so much more realistic about a lot of the sexual stuff than some other NA I've read, and it was a great change. Great review, Ash!

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I totally agree. There was some awkwardness to it which I appreciated rather than just romanticizing everything.

      Delete