Saturday, June 8, 2013

Saturday Short: Coraline

Goodreads Summary: When Coraline explores her new home, she steps through a door and into another house just like her own... except that it's different. It's a marvelous adventure until Coraline discovers that there's also another mother and another father in the house. They want Coraline to stay with them and be their little girl. They want to keep her forever!

Coraline must use all of her wits and every ounce of courage in order to save herself and return home.
My first Neil Gaiman book, one that an old friend of mine had recommended to me countless times and that had a movie made that creeped me out beyond reason.

So of course I ended up HAVING to read this one for class, right?

Luckily I was able to put it off a bit since it was the last required read of the semester and when it was finally time I just sat down and read it in a single session, kind of like pulling a bandaid off in one swipe to get it over with. [The movie creeped me out that much...its not like I was dreading Gaiman or something, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about his writing.]

Coraline, the book, still creeped me out. Not quite to the extreme that the movie did but it was still creepy. However I did thoroughly enjoy Neil Gaiman's writing style. There was something about the book, something so otherworldly and poetic that even as its creeping you out you have to keep reading. It was beautiful in its own way. 

While it wasn't my favorite book that I read over the course of the semester, it was definitely an interesting and intricate read and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.


3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment