Saturday, March 2, 2013

Saturday Short: The Wizard of Oz

Goodreads Summary: One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful fantasy out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There′s no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powerful Wizard of Oz.
The first time that I read The Wizard of Oz I was in eighth grade, but I had seen the film by MGM half a dozen times before then. I got the opportunity to pick it up again [in this gorgeous green edition!] this month as part of my required reading for my Children's Literature Into Film class [a lot of that going on, huh?] and I'm glad that I did. While it is not my favorite children's classic I still find it a charming story though very different from the movie most of us grew up with. Baum believed in action, with little description, and a fast-moving story. And at times, even I a self-proclaimed lover of most books over their movies, found the movie to the be more fun out of the two. Some of my favorite bits to this day remain the things that likely will go over children's heads; various puns and bits of poking fun at politics and the world around us. Baum may have wrote the book as a sort of American fairy tale but adults reading it, whether out loud to their children or just for themselves, will be amused as well.

3/5

Note: This is only a review of the story itself, not all of the annotations that this special [gorgeous!] edition contains.

No comments:

Post a Comment