Saturday, March 30, 2013

Saturday Short: Pink Smog

Goodreads Summary: The girl in the mirror wasn't who I wanted to be, and her life wasn't the one I wanted to have.

Despite how much Louise insists, no one will call her Weetzie. It's her dad's nickname for her, but it won't stay put. Neither will her dad. Charlie left Louise and her mom and he took everything with him: her family, her home--and her understanding of who she's meant to be.

But Los Angeles is a city full of strange angels, and Louise embarks on a journey to sift through the smog of her heartbreak, to grow her own wings, to become Weetzie.
I'm not sure what made me pick this book up this morning but whatever it was I just had to read it and I had to read it now.

It was a good choice.

Pink Smog is my first interaction with the Weetzie Bat stories, though there is a series of five books out in addition to this which is the prequel, and it won't be my last. Pink Smog was a beautifully written story about trying to make it through adolesence alive. Its a story of making friends and losing them, of growing up and finding yourself, of making the tough decisions and finding beauty in the world around you. Its just beautiful. And Weetzie Bat is such a quirky narrator. I loved her voice. I loved the way she puzzled through things, what she chose to question, the fact that she went with the flow while striking against it at the same time. Just everything. I can't wait to read more about her.


4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment