Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday Short: Jersey Angel

Goodreads Summary: It's the summer before senior year and the alluring Angel is ready to have fun. She's not like her best friend, Inggy, who has a steady boyfriend, good grades, and college plans. Angel isn't sure what she wants to do yet, but she has confidence and experience beyond her years. Still, her summer doesn't start out as planned. Her good friend Joey doesn't want to fool around anymore, he wants to be her boyfriend, while Angel doesn't want to be tied down. As Joey pulls away, and Inggy tours colleges, Angel finds herself  spending more time with Inggy's boyfriend, Cork. With its cast of vivid and memorable characters, this tale from the Jersey shore is sure to make some waves.
First off I have to give a little disclaimer and say that I am most definitely not recommending this one to readers on the younger side of the YA spectrum because the content is crazy mature. And for me to be saying that, because I'm pretty easy-going about that sort of thing, it has to be mature. Maybe plop it in the New Adult category? Maybe.

As for Jersey Angel the novel, I genuinely liked it. Angel wasn't your typical protagonist. She didn't have anything together. She didn't know what she wanted to do with her life. Her family life's a little wonky. And her love life is pretty much all over the place. But she's likeable. And I loved the way that she told her story; she was an interesting narrator. For a YA novel it was a bit on the racy side, there was drinking [doesn't normally bother me in YA because, well, it happens] and sex [which is why I gave the warning...Its not crazy detailed but its not your average fade to black either]. So again, mature content. As a whole the novel was entertaining and I finished it in an hour or two, I didn't want to put it down. Is it for everyone? Probably not. Was I happy with it? Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment