Saturday, December 8, 2012

Saturday Short: Guitar Girl

Goodreads Summary: "Seventeen-year-old Molly Montgomery never planned on becoming famous. Molly's band, The Hormones, was just supposed to be about mucking around with her best mates, Jane and Tara, and having fun. But when the deliciously dangerous Dean and his friend T join the band, things start happening fast. Soon The Hormones are front-page news, and their debut album is rocketing up the charts. Molly is the force behind the band, but the hazards of fame, first love, screaming fans, and sleazy managers are forcing the newly crowned teen queen of grrl angst close to the edge. Fame never comes for free, and Molly's about to find out what it costs."
I seriously felt like this book went by WAY too fast. I wanted more. I wanted to really be able to sink my teeth in. I felt like I was only getting glimpses of the bigger picture and I wanted the whole thing. It was like you sat down to write your life story and was just scribbling it down like mad to make sure you got everything down but didn't bother with all the little details because you could go back and fill those in later. I really wanted those little details. I felt like there was so much here that could have been fleshed out and I wanted it all. The characters had so much promise, what glimpses of the bandmates and the people they ran into that i got were interesting but they just didn't get enough air time to suit.

I think some of my favorite parts though were the little British-isms. I'm a sucker for England, in case you guys didn't already know this, and I just love the slang. And you get a healthy dose of it in this book which kept me alternately giggling and googling. Overall Guitar Girl was a quick, fluffy fun read...I just wish there had been more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment