Monday, December 3, 2012

Review: Rockoholic

Goodreads Summary: "She's got it bad, and he ain't good -- he's in her garage?

"I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me..."

Gonna have to face it: Jody's addicted to Jackson Gatlin, frontman of The Regulators, and after her best bud Mac scores tickets, she's front and center at his sold-out concert. But when she gets mashed in the moshpit and bodysurfs backstage, she's got more than a mild concussion to deal with. By the next morning, the strung-out rock star is coming down in her garage. Jody -- oops -- kind of kidnapped him. By accident. With a Curly Wurly candy bar. And now he doesn't want to leave.

It's a rock-star abduction worthy of an MTV reality series...but who got punk'd?!
"
I picked this book up because I wanted more contemporary in my life and I love stories about rockstars. When I read the synopsis I knew that I wanted to give this one a read. It just sounded like the sort of story that would have me in giggling fits. I mean, come on? Kidnapped by candy bar? I just had to know how Jody would pull this one off.

In SO many ways this reminded me of the teenage version of a story my Mom bought me when I was a kid called Babushka's Doll. Or at least I think that was the name of it. Basically this little girl who is a total brat begs for her Grandmother's doll, gets the doll, the doll comes to life and is incredibly demanding and bratty. Basically little girl gets a taste of her own medicine and gets a glimpse as to what she has done to her Grandmother all these years. Needless to say, Jackson puts Jody through the wringer a time or two or three.

Jody kind of fell flat for me. She did all these crazy things, or at least we're told she did, and being a crazy sort of person myself this should have done it for me...but it just didn't. Full disclosure, Cree was probably my favorite character in the story with Mac, the best bud, making a close second. Jody and Jackson? Kind of meh I'm sad to say.

Guys, I have to be honest, I really had to push myself to finish this one. Which, to continue that honest streak, might not have entirely been its own fault since I had been reading A Game of Thrones simultaneously and AGoT pretty much blew my mind...and would understandably blow anything compared with it to smithereens. Its one of those books that you just can't escape from, the cast and plot haunt you. So it probably wasn't at all fair to read Rockoholic alongside it.  

In closing...I smiled a few times while reading Rockoholic but didn't have any of the hoped for giggle-fits. It was an alright read but I had been hoping for something a little bit more.

2 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment