Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review of Redemption

Goodreads Summary: "Guillaume: For five hundred years I've existed as a gargoyle. Perched atop an old Montreal church, I've watched idly as humanity wanders by. With the witch Marguerite gone, there is no one left to protect, nothing to care about. I never planned to feel again. But then a girl released me from my stone restraints, allowing me to return as a seventeen-year-old human boy. I must find out all I can about this girl's power . . .

Aude: Getting attacked twice in as many days is strange in itself, but even stranger is the intriguing guy I keep running into. There's something so familiar about him, like a primal drum rhythm from my dreams. But spending time together only raises more questions--about my heritage, a native Mohawk prophecy . . . and an unearthly magic threatening our city..
"
Like any fantasy lover, I'm a huge fan of the classic creatures. Fairies, vampires, werewolves, mermaids, etc. But sometimes I crave something more. Something that's a little outside of the box, something that hasn't been done to death or become a crazy fad. Something that will make me marvel. Redemption's Gargoyles offered that to me. Yes, you read that right, GARGOYLES.

For a girl who has taken several mythology classes, I just can't seem to get away from the stuff. I'm addicted I tell you, and even more so addicted to folklore, this was a great read. I love books that tie in to lesser known mythology. Now, don't get me wrong, the Greek stuff is great but everyone knows about those myths to some extent. I love to be surprised. I love to learn something new. I like obscure bits of folklore and Redemption is that. And with the Iroquois! [I'm a huge fan of Native American / Indigneous Peoples mythology in particular. I blame my completely awesome professor.] Now, I'm not sure how much of it is out of Veronique Launier's imagination and how much is true folklore as I'm not well versed in the mythology at play but I LOVED IT. And I especially love the fact that it makes me want to hit the books, and maybe Google, to find out what is what. I want to know more. I want to learn. And this book makes me want to do it.

 The cast of Redemption was interesting to say the least. I especially enjoyed clueless Aude, and truly she was clueless and naive about some of the funniest things. But I think we all are. Its easy to be blind to what is right in front of you. And her stubbornness. And how wary she is of new people. Especially strange ones that seem to be stalking you. And I LOVED the Gargoyles, I really want to learn more about them all and their own backstories. The little bits and pieces were enough to bait me but I want it all, and I sincerely hope the next book delivers.

Overall I found myself liking this book and the change of pace that its' Gargoyles brought to it. I'm eager to see/read what Veronique Launier comes up with next for this crazy eclectic cast and would definitely recommend this to readers craving something a little different in their line-up.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I didn't think much of this book but now I'm feeling bad about that. It actually sounds quite good, and mythology is always an awesome plus. Please excuse me while I sob in remorse and regret. *walks away*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, no sobbing. There's always time for a second chance. Thankfully for us books don't hold grudges. :]

      Delete