Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review of Guardian

Goodreads Summary: "Vigilance. The mission to safeguard Nikki Youngblood depends on the fragile alliance of two half-angel, half-human guardians, both struggling with intense feelings for the girl who has been assigned to their care. Mace, steadfast and deeply in love, wants to protect Nikki at all costs, while Raven's loyalty to Nikki finds him advocating for her independence and battling his own darker inclinations. At the same time, Nikki finds it harder and harder to choose between the two heavenly beings she may never have. Dangers intensify, and tensions between Mace and Raven flare as the purpose of their mission becomes clear. Can their defenses hold up to master manipulator Damon Vessler and the powerful secret he holds regarding Nikki's heritage? Can anyone protect Nikki from her true purpose and destiny?"
When I won a copy of Halflings, the predecessor to Guardian, in a mass ARC giveaway I was hesitant to read it as I assumed it would be rather heavy-handed and not my type of read at all. Ultimately I did give it a chance and surprised myself by liking it, liking it enough that when I saw its sequel pop up on Netgalley I had to request it. Again I found myself surprised! I figured it would be another three star book for me, which since my star ratings are the same as can be found on Goodreads would mean that I liked it. And I did like it. But this time, I REALLY liked it. Translation? FOUR STARS!

The love triangle alternatively makes perfect sense to me and irks me. I can see why Nikki is torn; the guys are on opposite sides of the spectrum, almost literally. They appeal to different, completely different, aspects of her personality and bring those sides out in turn. One represents safety, the other freedom. Both are her Guardian Angels. Which, you know, throws a kink in the plans. But sometimes, when the extremes aren't being shown, I get irked because for me its a clear cut decision who Nikki should be with. Kind of like when you're watching a horror movie and yelling at the chick to not walk into -insert bad idea place here-? Only with dudes. Like. DON'T PICK HIM, NIKKI!!!! She'll listen. One of these days she'll listen.

Nikki felt so REAL to me in this second novel. I mean, in the first I was thrilled with her strength. Girl could kick some serious butt with her karate skills. In Guardian though the adrenaline rush had worn off and it was like all of the events of the first novel came crashing down around her and she was having to come with terms with it. MAJOR CONFUSION. I felt for the girl and I felt that her troubles felt real. I mean, losing everything that she had lost and gaining the knowledge that angels and demons are real would throw anyone for a loop. I just felt that Heather Burch wrote this extremely well.

And then there was the ending that totally threw me for a loop. Um. SAY WHAT? No, literally, say what? I am...I have no idea what that ending was about but I do have a feeling it means trouble and for that reason I can't wait to get my hands on the third book. I have to know what that last chapter was all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment