Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Thoughtful Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where a new topic is given each week by the host blog and participants write up a corresponding list of ten things. Simple, fun, and great for those obsessed with lists. This week's topic is: Top Ten Books That Make You Think.

(1) The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson - How far is too far? I love this book and can't stop recommending it to people. It has a serious wow factor and I definitely think that it is underrated. There is just so much going on in there, so much to make you think, so you much to seriously frighten you if you think too much on it.

(2) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - This book made me really question the rippling effect of our actions, how something we do could effect someone else down the line and so on.

(3) The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan - One of my favorite books to date, beautifully written and filled with quotes that I love to plaster everywhere. I feel like I learn something new each time I read this book, that I question something, or that I come to know a new perspective.

(4) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - My first ever dystopian novel and the first novel to ever make me question where our world was going and how close we really are to achieving a dystopian world like the one in the book. Really scary stuff.

(5) The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier - Do I dare disturb the universe? I can't see the cover for this book or hear mention of it without that question popping into my mind. I know that it originates from a poem by another author but it isn't that poem that makes me ask myself that very question. 

(6) Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - One of the most powerful YA books I think I've ever read and one that I definitely consider a must-read for just about everyone. A quiet book but it has power.

(7) Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Amazing how many of my favorite books keep weaseling their way on to this list, hm? I love Ender's Game. Hands down my favorite science fiction novel ever and one of my favorite novels of all time in general. And one that makes me think. For those of you that haven't read it, I don't want to elaborate too much more than that because I'm afraid of ruining the whole book for you...but, don't just take my word for it, go read it for yourself.

(8) Burned by Ellen Hopkins - Okay, basically anything by Ellen Hopkins is designed to make you think. Her works are so beautifully written, so powerful, so raw, so intense, so many things...Her novels always seem to knock me back on my butt and make me think. Definitely a tough act to follow. [Burned was my first Ellen Hopkins novel, closely followed by Impulse and both have really stuck with me.]

(9) Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - Though it is as thick as it is humorous Beauty Queens is definitely the kind of read that makes you think. All of its snark, sarcasm and irony...there is so much going on in this book. You giggle at something then seconds later stop and actually wonder what it is that you're laughing about. Definitely a thoughtful read.

(10) I just know I'm forgetting something so...-insert that book here- :]

8 comments:

  1. I love your list and I agree with you about Thirteen Reasons Why and The Hunger Games. I've been wanting to read Speak and Ender's Game for a while now so it's good to hear they're powerful reads. I also agree everything you said about ellen Hopkins books in fact I included three of her books on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Ender's Game is one of those reads that I take something new away from it with every new reread. :]

      I'm definitely needing to read more Ellen Hopkins in that case, loved the two I've read by her.

      Delete
  2. You've got such great books on this list! 13 Reasons Why was a book I just could not stop thinking about after I finish it. Even though it's been almost a year, there are still times where I find myself thinking about that book. It's definitely affected me as a person. I really need to pick up The Adoration of Jenna Fox! I met the author last year and STILL haven't read her book. Bad Aneeqah.

    Fabulous list Ash!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aneeqah!

      I agree. I devoured it in a single sitting after a recommendation from one of my lit professor's and simply couldn't stop thinking about it. There was so much going on in such a small book.

      You definitely need to pick up Jenna Fox, I think you'll like it a lot. :]

      Delete
  3. Great List. I must read more Levithan. You are right about BQ. You're laughing at the absurdity and then start thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same way about Levithan. I've only read three of his books now.

      Absurdity! That was the word I was hunting for when I was writing my list. That is BQ exactly.

      Delete
  4. Great list! I just read Beauty Queens last summer, and I really enjoyed it. It definitely was much more than I was expecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it too, I know its gotten a lot of mixed reviews. :]

      Delete