Thursday, September 20, 2012

Review of Kiss of Frost

Goodreads Summary: "I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword..."
I dove right into Kiss of Frost the second I finished writing my review for its predecessor, Touch of Frost and found myself right where I had left off. Close enough anyway. Ornery as ever Gwen Frost, otherwise known as that Gypsy Girl, is back and ready to have at the Reapers. In theory at least. In practice? Let's just say she needs a little bit more practice before she puts it into practice.

In Kiss of Frost we begin to learn more about the world that Gwen Frost has found herself in; likely because she has no embraced it herself. Instead of tuning out we're finally tuning in and she couldn't have afforded to wait a second longer because the action is back with a vengeance. Throughout the novel there is almost always either something going on or the threat of something happening lurking over the reader and Gwen; Kiss of Frost will keep you on the edge of your seat or chair lift as the case may be.

We also get to learn more about the rest of the cast and the secrets that they hold. This part of the novel particularly excited me because I had so many questions regarding the other students and professors that Gwen was surrounded by. Gwen also begins exploring the limits of her goddess-given power and discovering that there just may be more to it than she had originally assumed.

My only disappointment was the fact the fact that Gwen Frost seemed content to rely on her friends, magically abilities, and her wits to get by in a world where everyone and their brother was an incredible warrior. Sure having those talents would come in handy when everyone relies on brute strength but sometimes girl, you're going to just have to fight fire with fire. I mean, personally, if there were a bunch of highly trained Reapers wanting my head on a platter I'd want to learn how to wield something sharp AND FAST. So I really hope I see Gwen's inner warrior coming out soon because the way this girl stacks up the near-death experiences she's going to need it.

And because of all those near-death experiences, the nerdiness of Gwen Frost and the fact that I just love learning more about the web of truth and fantasy that Jennifer Estep has wove...I just wish that I had the third book on hand. The Mythos Academy is proving to be an exciting place and a captivating urban fantasy series. I highly recommend scooping the series up in bulk because it is impossible to resist diving into the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment