Friday, August 3, 2012

Adventures in The Nerdom #1

Hi you guys!

Awhile back I had mentioned that I wanted to bring more of myself into Typing Tiara and from that idea "Adventures in The Nerdom" was born. This is a new feature that I'll be posting on random Fridays throughout the year. Ideally there will be at least one up every month but beyond that I can't really say when you'll see one appear in your reader.

Basically "Adventures in The Nerdom" will depict my various nerdy pursuits whether it be finding exciting connections between what I read and the world around me, discovering a new bookstore or an amazing event.

Now, without further ado, this week's adventure!

A month or so ago my Mom, my Aunt and I set off on a grand adventure after discovering some free time in our normally hectic lives. Already thrilled to death to be heading out with two of my favorite people in the world you could only imagine my excitement when I discovered our destination. CARLSBAD. Which, I've got to tell you, is probably my second favorite place in California after Disneyland. 

Its just gorgeous there. And there are all these little shops, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, and the beach is literally RIGHT THERE.

So there we are, driving around, trying to find parking when I happen to glance out the window. And lo' and behold I spotted this:

 
[Picture from Fahrenheit 451Books]

I swear, when it comes to books I have a sixth sense. 

Anyway, my Aunt and Mom being fellow book lovers we of course squeezed into the nearest spot and wandered over. I had just barely set foot on the porch and swore I had found Nirvana.

Then we got to go inside. I wish I had thought to ask to take some pictures because I just loved the little store. It had such atmosphere. It was just one of those homey places that book-lovers swarm to. I immediately started browsing and with each step I took found myself more in awe of their stock. This store had a little bit of everything. Had I the money I probably would have taken a few bags home but my budget was tight that day so I left with only Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder [and I am so glad that I did because I LOVED that book!]

Satisfied at last with my choice I wandered to the front counter to make my purchase. [Now would be a good time for you guys to recall my infernal shyness.] A man was behind the counter and with a smile he took my book from me, glancing inside the front cover before flipping it over to examine the back. I clutched my wallet in my hands and was growing nervous, had I done something wrong? Then he spoke making some comment about Valek. Valek? Who was Valek? Should I know this name? Was it some secret code? WHAT WAS I MISSING? Then it dawned on me. Valek was mentioned on the back cover. The man actually READ the back cover. He was asking me what I thought of him and the book. Stuttering, and I'm sure I was beet-red at this point, I told him I didn't know much about the book only that it sounded oh-so-good and had a food taster.

The man behind the counter wanted to talk books. Now, if I was in my library or another local haunt I wouldn't have been quite so surprised, but this was my first real venture to a used bookstore where the people seemed INTERESTED in their wares. Really, you would be amazed at some of the grouches that run used bookstores. Frightening people. But this guy was friendly, smiley, and actually took the time to skim the back cover and make conversation with me...non-corporate mandated conversation at that! I know for some of you that doesn't seem like a big deal, but for an uber nerd like me it just sealed the deal.

I have to go back. And for those of you that live in Southern California, or happen to be here on vacation or visiting, I highly recommend that you drop in too. [If you click on the link below the picture it will take you to their Facebook Page where you can get more information!] The shop itself is so welcoming, the people that work there knew their stuff and were friendly, and the selection of merchandise was just incredible.

If you want more information on this fabulous brick-and-mortar store, please check out their website Fahrenheit 451 Books. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment