Monday, June 18, 2012

Review of My Soul to Take

Goodreads Summary: "She doesn’t see dead people, but...

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who’ll be next...
"

I think I first heard about Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series when The YA Sisterhood was hosting one of their tournaments, at the time I fell in with Jeri Smith-Ready's group to help #TeamKilt score a victory but my interest was surely piqued at that time. Which, I might add is what I think is the best part of these online tournaments...getting to see how excited the fans are about the book which in turn just gets me more excited to read said book!

Unfortunately with so many series out there, and me busily juggling a huge chunk of them, Soul Stealers fell to the wayside and I never got around to picking up the first book. Thankfully I was lucky enough to win a copy or month or so ago and was finally able to dig in!

Just when you start to think you have read it all an author comes along and gives life to a new paranormal being, in this case: banshees or as Rachel Vincent calls them, the bean sidthe. YES YES YES. As a child I had a rather morbid fascination with these creatures, I wrote countless short stories about them (some even illustrated!) and was constantly scaring the daylights out of my cousins with scary stories with banshees in the starring role. I'm so glad to see someone give them a voice in YA!

Kaylee, our heroine, is bull-headed and stubborn. She's loyal to a fault. In short, I can see a lot of myself in her. I tend to barge into things without completely thinking it through, I try to do the right thing but I don't always make it there, and things often go south without me quite knowing how they ended up that way. Suffice it to say, Kaylee isn't perfect. And that made her a most enjoyable heroine to read.

Did I happen to mention that there are two, count 'em TWO, yummy boys in this novel? Did I mention the steam? Did I mention that you'll probably want a fan? Did I mention that I may be just the teensy-weensiest bit in love with both of them? No? Well...now you know!

I can see why Rachel Vincent has such a great fan base; her novel was well-written, had a captivating concept, a ferocious heroine and some yummy boys! I'm pretty sure that is a recipe for YA epicness. Five out of five stars for My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent!

2 comments:

  1. Why haven't I heard about this series? Sounds like a great concept and something completely different than the majority of what's being done in YA now.

    I'm curious to know about the world she creates and want to know more about Kaylee and why the screaming bit is happening to her. And why the guy knows more about it than she does. I'll have to look this series up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! This series was truly a breath of fresh air for me. :]

    I hope you enjoy this series when you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete