Thursday, May 17, 2012

Review of Stay

My review of Stay by Deb Caletti is based on a hardcover edition of the book that I purchased for myself. The following is my honest review of the novel.

Goodreads Summary: "Clara's relationship with Christian is intense from the start, and like nothing she’s ever experienced before. But what starts as devotion quickly becomes obsession, and it's almost too late before Clara realizes how far gone Christian is and what he's willing to do to make her stay. 
Now Clara has left the city—and Christian—behind. No one back home has any idea where she is, but she still struggles to shake off her fear. She knows Christian won't let her go that easily, and that no matter how far she runs, it may not be far enough..."

From the moment Clara met Christian I felt like grabbing on to her and digging in with my heels, "Oh no you don't!" But of course, this being a book and me...not being exactly fictional this wasn't possible. But it's the very reason why i wasn't sure I was going to be able to write a review for this book. I've been in Clara's place, felt what she felt, though I don't think I've ever come clean with the entire story in the way that she did. I saw the train wreck coming from a mile away. Been there, done that. And because I knew this book was going to hit so close to home I didn't think that I would be able to write the review without going too personal.

But here goes nothing.

I think I fall in love with Stay from the first page; not the tumble that you find in most novels but more that gradual slide where you don't realize it's happening until all of a sudden its there.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel were the footnotes at the bottom of the page; not every single page had them but occasionally Clara would add one or two in there to better clarify her life. You would learn random trivia about her family, or get a better understanding of inside jokes her father made. They were entertaining to say the least and charming at their best.

I also appreciated the reflective tone, the way that Clara was really looking back on the story rather than just telling it to her audience. Casual little remarks here and there that reminded you of the upcoming train wreck that the Clara from the past didn't see coming. She would notice those things that in the moment you were lost to.

I'm giving Stay by Deb Caletti a five out of five stars review. Deb Caletti captured the emotions, the turmoil, the everything of a relationship like this so perfectly. For those of you who have gone through something similar you'll recognize the signs, you'll feel as if she captured the essence of your own story; for those of you who haven't I think you'll get a better sense of what those who have went through.

No comments:

Post a Comment