Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Spring Fever: Top Ten Books I'd Play Hooky With

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

I hadn't planned on doing a Top Ten Tuesday this week, in fact, I was determined to do a Tiara Talk...but I made the mistake of checking what the topic was and I just couldn't resist! I'm filled to the brim with spring fever, my focus is school was going, going and is now officially gone...just in time for final projects/papers/exams! Go me! Of course I want to spend all of that time on Typing Tiara...and READING. 

So the following list is of the books that I wish I could be reading right now instead of doing required reading, homework, papers, studying, etc.

(1) Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore - Okay, I wasn't one of the proud, the few the EXTREMELY LUCKY who received an ARC of this one...boy do I wish I was! But it's definitely top of my Spring Fever list. I feel as if I have been waiting for this book FOREVER and it's just about all I can think about. I daydream of what adventures it holds, of the characters, of just about everything. I wish I could be reading this right now instead of homework but, you know, there's that pesky matter of it not even being released yet. Oh, and homework. That too.

(2) Across the Universe by Beth Revis - Its not the first time this book has been featured on one of my Top Ten posts and I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm rapidly becoming a huge sci-fi nerd and I can't believe this is still sitting on my shelf, unread. If I could I would be curled up, preferably at home, on my bed devouring it instead of reading essays for my Literary Commentary class...Alas, its not going to happen.

(3) Delirium by Lauren Oliver - Again with the repeats,  I know. But this book sounds like one I'm going to simply ADORE. And of course my literary twinsy, Alli of Magnet 4 Books Reviews, fell in love with it so that just seals the deal. I wish I could devour it. I wish my Kindle was here with me now. Alas, I know it would distract me from my paper that I absolutely, positively HAVE to write tomorrow so its at home.

(4) Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn - I started this one over my Spring Break, what little of it I had free and knew that ultimately I would have to set it aside. It's a huge brick of a book, with characters galore and plenty of those tricky names that fantasies are known for...the kind of book that requires your complete attention, and when you have it to give you're more than happy to do so. Unfortunately I can't devote the time it deserves right now...This summer though, this summer is a different story.

(5) Gone With the Wind: The Screenplay by Sidney Howard - For those of you that don't know, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Gone With the Wind and it's easily in my top three favorite books of all times. I also adore all four odd hours of the movie. And the sequel, Scarlett, which most people hate. You would not believe the squealing when I found a copy of this in my libraries bins for the bag of books for a dollar sale, I was head over heels in love and wanted to drop to the floor and start it right then...but I showed restraint. Unfortunately I'm going to have to continue to do that because, as the great love of my life, this book deserves time to be poured over and examined and fawned over.

(6) Anne of Green Gables Series by L. M. Montgomery - Ever since I discovered this series it's been one of those that I've reread every year, much like Little Women by Louisa May Alcott...unfortunately since college has set in [and blogging] I haven't been able to do an epic reread like this in AGES. I would love nothing more than to play hooky from life and curl up with all of my loved ones from Avonlea...maybe someday...hopefully soon.

(7) Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith - Okay...at first glance this doesn't seem like the kind of book that someone wants to play hooky from school with. But Rachel over at Fiktshun has done nothing but RAVE AND RAVE AND RAVE about this series and how awesome it is. Her enthusiasm, as always, is catching. I cannot wait until I can see for myself why she is so addicted to this series...and for that I would be more than happy to play hooky.

(8) The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan - This is another of those wishful thinking reads since I don't even own a copy of this book. YET. I managed to hold off on buying it when it first came out because I wanted a matching paperback set...of course now that the paperback edition is out I'm broke...because, you know, that's the way the cookie crumbles. BUT I LOVE THIS SERIES SO FRIGGEN MUCH. I just know that if I got my hands on a copy of this I'd play hooky from life and devour it.

(9) Until I Die by Amy Plum - I just recently read this book's predecessor and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. I LOVED this book. I was so swept up in the plot, the setting, the characters, the mythology, the everything. If I could get my hands on a copy of this I would definitely play hooky because you can not help but get swept up in Amy Plum's world...and never want to leave.

(10)  Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready - I hate seeing this series end. I really do. I love these characters. I love Jeri Smith-Ready's amazingness that shines through on every page of her work. BUT I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. So yes, it goes without saying that I would be more than happy to play hooky with a nice little copy of Shine...and Zach. Oh geeze would I love to spend some time playing hooky with that Scot. -insert dreamy sigh here-

2 comments:

  1. Bitterblue must be so good, I can't wait to read it. I thought Across the Universe was good, but the sequel came across even better. Delirium...oh my goodness! Start it now, it's very good, and the sequel Pandemonium, that blew me away :-) Great list

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, her books just keep getting better each time. I'm starting to wonder if May will ever come.

    Oh, don't tell me that! My poor bank account can't handle any more amazing sequels. LOL.

    I'd love to start Delirium now but it's on my Kindle and I don't have it with me. Maybe this weekend.

    Thank you for commenting! :]

    ReplyDelete