Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review of The Unwritten Rule

My review of The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott is based on a hardcover copy of the book that I borrowed from my local library. The following review is my honest opinion of the work.

Goodreads Summary: "He's looking at me like—well, like he wants to look at me. Like he likes what he sees, and he's smiling and his eyes are so blue, even in the faint flow of the porch light they shine, and I nod dumbly, blindly, and then grope for the door handle, telling myself to look away and yet not able to do it.
"Sara," he says, softly, almost hesitantly, and my heart slam-bangs, beating hard, and this is what it's like to want someone you can't have. To want someone you shouldn't even be looking at.

Sarah and Brianna have always been friends, and it's always gone like this: guys talk to Sarah in order to get closer to Brianna. So even though Sarah met Ryan first, she's not surprised that he ends up with Brianna (even though Sarah has a massive crush on him).

The three of them hang out, and Sarah and Ryan's friendship grows until one night an innocent exchange between them leads to a moment that makes Sarah realize that Ryan might be interested in her after all. But if there's one unwritten rule, it's this: you don't mess around with a friend's boyfriend.

So Sarah tries to resist temptation. But with the three of them thrown together more and more, tension builds between Sarah and Ryan, and when they find themselves alone together at one point, they realize they just can't fight how they feel anymore...."

I got confused at times trying to follow the timeline of what was going on. I could never be positive when something happened.

The thing about it is that I didn't like Brianna at all really despite feeling sorry for the way that things were with her family. Her character annoyed me. Supposedly her and Sarah were such good friends because she had rescued her from this Meredith girl when they were younger who treated her badly but in my opinion Brianna didn't really treat her that much better. Brianna was horribly self-centered. Sarah deserved better. And yet, I wasn't particularily fond of Sarah either. They simply weren't my kind of characters I'm sorry to say.

I'm giving The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott a two out of five stars review. It was an okay read to pass the morning with but not something that I'm going to run out and buy. The Unwritten Rule was my first ever Elizabeth Scott novel and while it won't be my last I think I'll continue checking them out from the library or borrowing the books from friends.

2 comments:

  1. I just read the book, I enjoyed reading your review, here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-unwritten-rule-by-elizabeth-scott.html

    Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete