Thursday, February 23, 2012

Review of Hourglass

My review of Hourglass by Myra McEntire is based on a hardcover copy of the book that I borrowed from my local library. The following review is my honest opinion.

Goodreads Summary: "One hour to rewrite the past . . .
 
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.


Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.
"

I had picked this book up from the pile when nothing else was satisfying me; I had gone through three or four other books, skimming the opening chapters and nothing clicked. I wanted something more. Within the first sixteen pages Hourglass had won me over with a main character I could relate to and a Scarlett O'Hara reference.

Hourglass was my first ever time travel novel; despite having several on my shelves and Kindle. I had expected something more on the paranormal side of things but what I got was a little bite of one of my favorite genres, science-fiction. What Hourglass gives you is something vaguely reminiscent of X-Men; a group of people with special abilities, where actual time-travel is a rare and exciting ability.

While I wouldn't call it a requirement, as some of my absolute favorite novels have been either light on or containing absolutely no romance, I do love to have some love in my stories. Hourglass provided.

Hourglass managed to hold my ever so short attention span and keep it for just short of four hundred pages. It kept me guessing and challenged what I thought I knew about time travel. I'm giving Hourglass by Myra McEntire a four out of five stars review.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED Hourglass. I also really liked how it kept you guessing - especially at the end. The storyline around the guy that visited Emerson creeeeeeped me out like none other though! I CAN'T wait until book 2: Timepiece, which is told from Kaleb's POV!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really impressed with it. I haven't had a story keep me on the edge like that in awhile. I never knew for sure what was going to happen next. Or how everything connected. I'm really looking forward to Timepiece too! Happy reading! :]

    ReplyDelete