Thursday, February 2, 2012

Review of Falling Under

My review of Falling Under by Gwen Hayes is based on a paperback copy of the book that I purchased for myself from Amazon. The following review is my honest opinion of the work.

Goodreads Summary: "Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.
 As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.
And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul."

While I liked the heroine in this story I can't say that I love her; in all actuality I'm trying to withhold judgment because of my mixed feelings. One moment I'd really enjoy her and the next she came across as a bit bland. Her friends were such characters though! Which I know is kind of obvious because, you know, they ARE characters...in a book. But what I mean by that is that they were just such originals and so realistic. I love the way that they all played off of one another.

While he wasn't my favorite of the many bad boys I've read [I think that position belongs to either Patch of Becca Fitzpatrick's creation or Alex of Simone Elkeles'] I did enjoy him. Especially once he was compared to a gothic Mr. Darcy. Yum.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel was the way in which it was told. Theia was the narrator throughout the first section of the book but there were little italicized sections that told snippets of scenes through the eyes of Haden, just enough to give you a taste and leave you wanting more. I really hope to more of this in the sequel!

I'm giving Falling Under by Gwen Hayes a four out of five stars review. I read this book in a few hours and really enjoyed it, hating every time I had to put it down to get some more work done on my dreaded homework. I'll definitely be picking up Dreaming Awake, the sequel, at some point. [My poor wallet is really crying out for some standalones right about now! xD]

2 comments: