Sunday, December 18, 2011

My Review of Sleepers

My copy of Sleepers by Megg Jensen is based on an e-book that I was sent by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review. The following is that honest review and was in no way influenced.

Goodreads Summary: "An adoptee raised in a foreign land, sixteen-year-old Lianne was content with her life as handmaiden to the queen, until a spell cast on her at birth activated. Now she's filled with uncontrollable rage and access to magic she thought had been bled from her people years ago. Even her years of secret training in elite hand-to-hand combat and meditation can’t calm the fires raging inside her.

Her heart is torn between two boys, the one she’s always loved and the one who always ignored her. But when the kingdom threatens to tear itself apart due to rumors surrounding the queen’s alleged affair, who will Lianne protect and who will she destroy?
"

Despite owning an e-book copy of Anathema that I scored awhile back for free off of Amazon Sleepers was my first Megg Jensen book and what an introduction to her it was.

Since I was a little girl I've always rooted for the underdogs, the person [or people] that aren't widely regarded by the majority as the one[s] that will come out on top which made this the perfect book for me. It was all about the underdogs! And redheads! Who doesn't love redheads? [I have bought many a bottle of hair dye trying to become one myself!]

Lianne, our redheaded heroine, came across as so very real to me. She was a teenage girl, torn between two boys, two countries and two selves. I loved every moment of her journey of finding herself, determining who she really was and realizing that she was her own person and therefore free to not only be herself but make her own decisions. The rest of the cast of Sleepers were equally as great in their own ways; making their own marks and coming across as actual people that Lianne interacted with rather than cardboard cut-outs standing around to take up space.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel was that you could not take any knowledge given to you [the reader] as the gospel; someone was always there to contradict it, to challenge it, to make you question everything you thought you knew. Every time you think you have the ending figured out, you know who the bad guys are, you know what will happen next something else comes out of nowhere and blindsides you.

The ending floored me; I hit the next button on my Kindle about a dozen times trying to find the rest of the story. It was like I was watching a movie, something dramatic happened and all of a sudden the screen went blank. You can't leave me here! But she did. And now I'm desperate for a sequel; I have to know what happens next! I'm giving Sleepers by Megg Jensen a five out of five stars review. Go out and get a copy of Sleepers now, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment