Sunday, October 2, 2011

Revew of The Iron Daughter

My review of The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa is based on a paperback copy of the book that I purchased for myself, the following review is my honest opinion of the work.




*WARNING: May contain spoilers!*

Goodreads Summary: "Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart"

Just once I'd like to read a book about the fae where the girl goes into Faeryland having some idea of how the fae work. I don't mean their politics necessarily but having an idea of how they are tricky, deceitful and untrustworthy and being able to deal with this. Still not making sense? Let me try again. Just once I'd like the heroine to go into one of the courts, whichever she belongs to or has to face or whatever, and be able to stand up to them. Not just throw a temper tantrum, scream yell and throw out threats. I mean to actually be a threat on the fae playing field. To understand that emotions are dangerous and all of the other things you have to know to be successful in fae dealings. Sigh.

Where did this rant come from you ask? In the beginning of The Iron Daughter I wanted to slap Meghan a time or two for this very reason. She's been in the Nevernever awhile now and I expected a little bit more from her then just getting hurt feelings and bawling her eyes out when the big bad Unseelie Court were "mean" to her. Come on, Meghan, really? But eventually she began to show glimmers of hope, signs of being the kind of heroine I wanted her to be. Hopefully you guys will feel the same as you read Meghan's story and watch as her time in the Nevernever cause her to grow and become a worthy heroine.

I had been told by several other readers and bloggers that this was their favorite book of the entire Iron Fey series to date. After having read it for myself I can understand why. The risks are graver, the action fiercer and the plot was a wild rollercoaster that had flung itself off it's tracks. I couldn't stop reading and begrudged anyone who made me put it down for even a second. I'm giving The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa a five out of five stars review. I loved this book and can honestly say it was way better than it's predecessor. I can't wait to see what surprises and adventures The Iron Queen holds for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment