Sunday, September 18, 2011

Review of Shadowspell

My review of Shadowspell by Jenna Black is based on a paperback copy of the book that I borrowed from my local library. The following review is my honest opinion of the work.

*Warning, Shadowspell is the SECOND book in the series and this review may contain spoilers for those who haven’t yet read Glimmerglass.*

Goodreads Summary: "On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?"

One of the things that I like most about Dana is that she doesn't sit back and let her problems be taken care of for her, she doesn't expect nor want to be rescued. Dana is a heroine and she lets you know it. She might not the be the strongest, most magical or the smartest but she is determined and that counts for a lot. I love that she doesn't sit around and wait for something to happen or be cured but rather she meets them head on. She's the kind of heroine that I can respect and that makes it so I love reading about her and her adventures. She's your average girl but so much more.

I loved that in this book we got to know Keane a little bit more. We were given only the barest of samples of who he was and could be in Glimmerglass and I was dying to know more. He's totally beating Ethan out for my heart at this point, partially because with more time to think about it Ethan comes off as a bit of a spoiled player. Keane seems so real. And he's a bad boy. But then there is the ultimate bad boy in Arawan. I know he's bad. I know he's done some horrible things. And he's a killer. And the fae equivalent of the leader of the pack. But there is something irresistibly appealing about this fae. Oh yeah, I’m torn. Big time.

In this book we’re introduced to more of the faerie culture and we get to learn more of how the magic that they can call to them works. And the history of Avalon and faerie, oh the history! I absolutely loved learning more about the world that Jenna Black has created, a world that is rapidly becoming one of my favorite fantasies. There’s so much depth to it. I’m in awe.

I couldn't stop reading and only put this book down when I absolutely had to. I really enjoyed this book, even more than Glimmerglass which surprised me because sequels seldom live up to the first book. I'm giving Shadowspell a four out of five stars review. The plot was rapid fire with things constantly going on, there was literally not a single dull moment in this book. I’m totally regretting not having put Sirensong on hold already. What was I thinking?!?! Whatever you do, do NOT make that same mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment