Thursday, September 1, 2011

Review of Because I Am Furniture

My review of Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas is based on a hardcover copy of the book that I borrowed from my local library. The following review is my honest opinion.

Goodreads Summary: "Anke's father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she's just an invisible witness in a house of horrors, on the brink of disappearing altogether. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. At first just being exhausted after practice feels good, but as Anke becomes part of the team, her confidence builds. When she learns to yell "Mine!" to call a ball, she finds a voice she didn't know existed. For the first time, Anke is seen and heard. Soon, she's imagining a day that her voice will be loud enough to rescue everyone at home - including herself."

Anke was an interesting narrator. Since everything was told from her perspective the reader only gets her impressions of those around them, you're left to draw on what little she gives you to come to any conclusions about how her family life really is. This part of the book I thoroughly appreciated. As the reader you're given just enough to assume the worst because after all in most case imaginations will run wild with the little tidbits they are given. Instead of getting the full force of her family life the impressions you get are just enough to make you consider them more, to add to the details until a full picture forms in your mind.

This book read more like interconnected flash fiction than anything else. It felt as if you were given just enough of each scene before a door was slammed in your face and you were rushed down the hallway to the next glimpse. I liked what I read but felt as if I needed more. Just a little bit more time in the varying scenes to get a real feel for what was going on.

This was a quick read for me, as most stories told in poetry form are. It only took me an hour to read in it's entirety. I'm giving Because I am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas a three out of five stars review. I liked it but it didn't quite have the impact that I was expecting.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I've never really read a novel in poetry form before. This sounds really good but maybe a little frustrating if you were left needing more

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cait. I always love hearing that about my reviews. :D

    I really love novels in poetry form, you really should try one. I did like this particular one but it might not be the right choice to seal you on the style, still a good read though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete