Sunday, July 24, 2011

Review of Eden

My review of Eden by Keary Taylor is based on an e-book copy of the book that I borrowed via a lending site for my Kindle. The following review is my honest opinion of the work.

Goodreads Summary: "Eve knew the stories of the Fall, of a time before she wandered into the colony of Eden, unable to recall anything but her name. She's seen the aftermath of the technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter, able to grow new organs and limbs, how it evolved out of control. The machine took over and the soul vanished. A world quickly losing its humanity isn't just a story to her though. At eighteen, this world is Eve's reality.

In their Fallen world, love feels like a selfish luxury, but not understanding what it is makes it difficult to choose between West, who makes her feel alive but keeps too many secrets, and Avian, who has always been there for her, but is seven years her senior.

The technology wants to spread and it won't stop until there is no new flesh to assimilate. With only two percent of the human population left, mankind is on the brink of extinction. While fighting to keep Eden alive, Eve will discover that being human is about what you will do for those you love, not what your insides may be made of. And even if it gets you killed, love is always what separates them from the Fallen.
"

Eve was hard for me to relate to as a character. Lacking in emotions, clueless. I grew to understand her and grudgingly begin to enjoy her once the puzzle pieces began to come together. Her torn emotions that she was struggling to understand and deal with are such a common uniting theme.

It would have been a lot easier listing a third love triangle for the read-a-thon mini challenge had I read this book before hand or during. Avian and West. I could feel the pull between both; I understood why Eve would be torn between the two of them because they meant different things to her. And I'll admit Eve didn't choose who I would have but I loved both of the guys enough to be satisfied with her choice as a proper conclusion. <3

I was completely thrown by some of the twists that were in this book. For the most part I pride myself on catching the signs, having some idea of what's going to happen, but Eden managed to completely throw me at times. Some of it's shockers seemed to just come right out of left field, out of nowhere.

I loved the world that this took place in. I'll admit I was totally picturing a Fallout-like [video game] wasteland that the characters were maneuvering in. The reasons why the world had become the way it was were totally believable and again frightening because I could see it happening. For me some of the best dystopians arise out of our current problems and concerns. Eden deals with our medical issues, our constant questioning of how far is too far and how will we known when we get there? Eden recognizes the fact that we might not know how far is too far until we're in it to deep to stop it. It's a realistic portrayal of the end of the world.

I'm giving Eden by Keary Taylor a four out of five stars review.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review, love! I felt like the cover of this book literally struck me down! It's so fierce which I feel is exactly how the book is, too! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :D

    I totally agree about the cover though. It has presence. It's fierce and exactly right for the story.

    The cover [and of course the awesomeness of the book itself] has me tempted to shell out the extra money for a paperback copy rather than just getting it for my Kindle where it wouldn't be seen and is in black/white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ash for the review. I have been eyeing this one but haven't been seeing much feedback. Glad to hear you liked it. Been in a huge dystopian kick so I will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome. I've been on a dystopian kick myself, been reading other things too of course but dystopians get me really excited these days. Hope you enjoy! Happy reading! :]

    ReplyDelete