Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wishing on Wednesday (6)


Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) by Sarah Mlynowski
Goodreads Summary: "2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time."

I haven't heard so much as one "eh" word about this book, all of the feedback has been amazing. Considering the fact that I'm going to be on my own for the first time August, yes I am aware that I'm not a teenager any longer, it makes it that much better for me. I really really really want to read this one.

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Goodreads Summary: "Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew—just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road—diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards—this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself."

I don't know about you guys, but I have always wanted to go on a road trip. Therefore this book is perfect for me. :D

All You Get Is Me by Yvonne Prinz
Goodreads Summary: "A summer of love, loss, and justice.

Things were complicated enough for Roar, even before her father decided to yank her out of the city and go organic. Suddenly, she’s a farm girl, albeit a reluctant one, selling figs at the farmers’ market and developing her photographs in a ramshackle shed. Caught between a troublemaking sidekick named Storm, a brooding, easy-on-the-eyes L.A. boy, and a father on a human rights crusade that challenges the fabric of the farm community, Roar is going to have to tackle it all—even with dirt under her fingernails and her hair pulled back with a rubber band meant for asparagus."

A trouble-making sidekick named Storm? Easy-on-the-eyes L.A. boy? Human rights crusade? Yes please to all of the above!

So, for anyone who knows me this line-up might seem a little surprising. I read large quanities of paranormal, supernatural, fantasy, and science-fiction type things. It's not often I go on a pure contemporary young adult kick. [Though I do throw them into my reading line-up occasionally as my reviews will have revealed to you]. But I seem to be there. I blame the ending of my guilty pleasure series. I NEED MORE. Hence the all contemporary young adult line-up. All of these books sound so very amazingly good and I can't wait to get my hands on them.

So, what are you guys wishing for this week? Lemme know. Maybe I'll be wishing for those same books next week. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment