Sunday, June 12, 2011

Review of French Kiss

My review of French Kiss by Aimee Friedman is based on a copy of the book that I purchased myself from a book sale at my local library. The following review is my honest opinion of the story.

Goodreads Summary: "Two beautiful girls. One sexy city.

Endless opportunities for l'amour.

When Alexa St. Laurent falls in love, she falls hard. Can she keep her cool after meeting a French guy who's too good to be true and too hard to resist?

For Holly Jacobson, being in love with her boyfriend Tyler is as natural as breathing. But there's no denying that Alexa's Parisian cousin, Pierre, takes Holly's breath away...

On a whirlwind rendezvous in Paris, the City of Love, Alexa and Holly are about to discover that everything sounds sexier in French."

For me French Kiss was an impulse buy, I was on my way to check out when I saw it lying on one of the tables and scooped it up without bothering to read the back cover. I was surprised to find that it was a YA novel, something about the cover led me to believe it would be an adult romance novel. Though now as a I look it more I recognize the cover as being part of the Gossip Girl type trend that went around for awhile.

I did find myself about to relate more to Holly more than Alexa. Because of this I also preferred her storyline. Having been one myself I can relate to goody two shoes, not daring to disturb the universe or anyone else for that matter. Like Holly I was the good girl who did as she was told and while I might have occasionally fantasized about doing something wild and reckless it wasn't likely that I ever would really experience it for myself. But all of this doesn't mean that I didn't like the character of Alexa, because I did, I enjoyed seeing her change throughout the story. I just wasn't able to relate as well to being the popular girl having never been one myself. She was still a likeable character though.

I liked this book because despite being about finding love in France or wherever else it might be lurking it was about the friendship between the two girls. It was about them growing up, experiencing life, independence and realizing how important it is to have someone that you can depend on.

I'm giving French Kiss by Aimee Friedman a three out of five stars review. It was a nice light read that put me in mind of Zoey Dean's A-List series which was exactly what I needed as I wait ever so impatiently for the last volume to be delivered. On it's own though French Kiss was a good story, I enjoyed reading about the girls and will probably pick up the first in the series just to see how the two of them became friends. But you don't need to have read the first book in order to read and enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment