Friday, June 10, 2011

Review of Blood of Gold

My review of Blood of Gold by B.V. Larson is based on an e-book copy that was loaned to me through a Kindle lending site. The following review is my honest opinion of the story.

Goodreads Summary: "Her young man stepped out of nowhere onto a mountaintop... Her high school counselor came from Hell. Literally... Haley learns she has a unique gift. She normally lives her life escaping notice, but now two gorgeous strangers are interested in her. Very interested. Seth is the best-looking young man she (or anyone else) has ever met. Every girl in school is after him and the competition turns strangely vicious. She soon realizes that he is not fully bound to this world. Although they both feel the mutual attraction, there’s something holding him back... The second stranger is equally attractive, but more frightening. When she is with him, she somehow loses her self-control. To say more would give away too much, but Las Vegas will never be the same..."

One of the first things about this book that got to me was the main character, Haley. She was so slow to figure everything out! I mean I know it's supposed to take them some time to figure it out, and unlike the reader she wouldn't have instantly known that the guy she was suddenly interested in was anything but human, but still. All of the signs pointed to one thing and it was almost the end of the book before she had clued in. Slightly frustrating.

I know there are people like this but Brooke (Haley’s best friend) annoyed me. They were friends since elementary school and so easily turned. Unlike Haley's naiveté this annoyance was the kind of someone having gone through the same thing. I could really relate to this having had friends I've known forever suddenly turn on me for the most ridiculous reasons ever. Boys are a huge problem when it comes to this. Way too many friendships break up over them.

I can’t say a lot about it without giving away the story, but suffice it to say the character of Trevor really added something to the story for me.

One aspect of this book that really stood out to me and made me think was something that one of the other characters remarked on; that with injustice came great power, far more than when justice was served. At first I was with the main character and annoyed at this statement and the chaos that came with it. But than I started to really think about it; and the character who made the remark and actually made a decent point. People do tend to get more passionate and stirred up when an injustice has been committed versus when justice has been carried out the way it should. It’s really something to think about.

I'm giving Blood of Gold by B.V. Larson a two out of five stars review. I liked the book enough to read through it quickly but it wasn’t a stand-out for me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment