Friday, May 20, 2011

Review of Portal

This review is based on a Kindle edition of Portal by Imogen Rose that I received on loan from a book lending website.

Goodreads Summary: "Come Find Me Two Years Ago...

Six words that propelled ice hockey playing tomboy, Arizona, into an alternate dimension. In one moment she went from being an ice hockey playing teenager in New Jersey to a glamorous cheerleader in California.

She found herself with a new dad. She found herself in a new life. One that she had apparently lived in always. Everyone knew her as Arizona Darley, but she isn't.

She was Arizona Stevens.

She knew she had to find her way back to her real life, to her real dad.

Then she met Kellan."

Portal caught my attention fairly early on when I got my Kindle, a lot of fellow e-reader owners had read and loved it, and as soon as I saw the alternate dimension angle presented in the summary I knew it would be a must-read for me.

When I first started reading this book I did not think I was going to like it; Portal was extremely slow to get going and confusing at times. I had little interested in Arizona, I couldn't relate to her in the slightest. One of the things that bugged me the most about her was her relationship with her Mother. For pages upon pages it just said that she hated her and gave no real definitive reason why. For a girl who is best friends with her mother (me!) this was a bit off in the left field.

One other issue I had with Portal was the name-dropping. I didn't mind the pop culture references so very much, in fact I smiled whenever I recognized one but the fashion designers wore on my nerves ever so slightly.

Than I met Kellan.

With the introduction of him the whole story took a change for the better. Suddenly the plot seemed to be rapidly moving forward, clues were being uncovered, things were actually happening and it was glorious! Than it ended. An emotional ending but an ending nonetheless.

I'm giving Portal three out of five stars. I liked it and will be either borrowing or snagging a copy of the next book, Equilibrium, for myself. For only ninety-nine cents I think it's worth the risk, either you'll love it like a lot of other reviewers have or you will at least have enjoyed yourself for a few hours and surely that's worth a little less than a dollar. Or free if you borrow it like I did. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment